They must have not done a server backup in awhile ...

• Sponsors (?)

Everything back to the 3rd of Jan ... But consider the size of this site and how much data is being transfered and stored.

This site isn't a mission critical database, and not surprised it's not backed up 'everyday' however in hindsight ... monthly archives are always nice. :)

This is exactly the reason why I backup all my databases at least once a day. So many people neglect backups, because in everyday life they just take up time & resources. It's just that -one- time when you need it that all the time spent becomes worth it.

As I understand it, SN is about 2GB of data. If that's true, then there really isn't any reason not to back it up nightly, 2GB is nothin'.

The server crashed, mike is working on it.

it is kind of a coincidence that this happened right after the spam attack from the ultimate race dingle berry. kimble was his nickname.

SO do they have a backup they will restor, or is it all permanently gone??

I agree with the above posters, there is no reason not to do a backup. All the hosting plans I deal with have free back-ups at least weekly. And if he is running his own servers I would think after all this time and energy into it he would know about things like mirroring and duplexing the storage arrays...?? Then the only thing that can take things completely out is a storm etc, but that is what the back-ups are for...

Rootus said:
I'd guess it's because there's a fair number of IT people on these forums, and we all know that backups are not leading edge stuff. Even little mom & pop shops do backups a lot more often than once every quarter. :shrug:
I have not heard anything official in the staff forum. Other than MRaburn was working on it, and he is most likely freaking out.

hungrymonkey said:
I have not heard anything official in the staff forum. Other than MRaburn was working on it, and he is most likely freaking out.
Here's what he said in another forum...

MRaburn said:
God I only wish guys...

Just have to pick up and move on like I am trying to do (loss of words).

The server had a major hickup and locked itself up, when it did, it corrupted alot of files which includes the database for the Forums. Well when we finally got the server running again, the DB was gone.

Our latest backup was Jan 3. We will be sure to make a point of more backups but its not fun backing up 2 Gigs of data, but we all learn our lessons the hard way.

At least most of you are here... we lost 7000 members that registered since January.

Im gonna go have a smoke, alot more work ahead of me getting everything back like it was.

sigh......

Im so uncool that I just need to change a couple numbers in my sig and everything will be OK. I guess my life isnt so interesting that it needs a garage, a fancy sig, a different avatar, etc.

I'm so 2004 :(

On the subject of backups, 2gb is nothing. Do an incremental nightly on a chron job and you could just send it to a drive on another server. Do a full on weekends. If your server doesnt "do chron" get Msft Operation Mgr. Its less than the amount the site gets for a few days of these ads.

And Kim Schmitz, aka Kimble doesnt care about Stangnet. He's too busy evading police for some bankruptcy or another.