Things are looking up

SMOKEDYA

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jul 13, 2003
Tucson AZ
Well i have a interview monday 8AM. This place is a really good company to get on at.It's union (witch i'm not to fond of) but hey it pays good.They have tons of work they have oil rigs there doing as well as the bridges (yes more then 1) going up in the bay area (cali). And it's in washington not oregon!So well that means i dont have double the taxes coming out of my pay checks every pay day!Plus it's like 5 minutes from my place! I still have both stangs and if i get this job or a job i wont have to sell the coupe!My old job (in oregon) that i'm laid off from after 5 years of service said i might get called back in a week or so,but if i get this job monday those guy's can f off!peace

john:p

• Sponsors (?)

It's union (witch i'm not to fond of) but hey it pays good.
y are u not fond of union. i been union since i was 18 been payed good, i have a good 401 so when i leave at 50 i have good money.

Just for the fact a couple people i know and have worked with are/was union and they are always out of work,but it could just be there dumb ass?IDK? But i am kinda looking forward to it for the pention and retirment like you have!I do at times regret not going into a union 20 years ago when i got my first job,i did have the chance but didnt jump on it :( What union are you? peace

My gripe with unions, are the fact that years at the job take seniority over work output. You could have two guys, one guy that has been there 20 years and does nothing, one that has been there 5 years busting his *** and in the end the 5 year guy gets canned if cut backs are made.

yep. unions just encourage people to be lazy asses cause they have someone to cover their ass imo.

i lost a good paying job 1 day before my probation period ended. it was dead nuts in the middle of the busy season too. i asked why am i being terminated? he claimed he could give me no answer, but i was "better then almost all of his uniion guys". :mad:

My gripe with unions, are the fact that years at the job take seniority over work output. You could have two guys, one guy that has been there 20 years and does nothing, one that has been there 5 years busting his *** and in the end the 5 year guy gets canned if cut backs are made.

+1

I'll go to college for 4 years, get a bachelor's degree, pick up $40,000+ in school loan debt, and still have less job security, get lower starting pay, and have less benefits than a kid who stumbled out of high school into a job driving a fork lift in the union. Unions had their place 70 years ago, but they've become parasitic and obsolete in today's society.

Edit: BTW, congrats on the job interview. I read "union" and almost forgot what this thread was about, haha.

im out of houston millwrights 2232. im not going to put the name of where i work but they work every 1 the same. if u came to a job and smoke all the time or dont do your job your gone. i work on pumps,motor,gas or steam turbines. just about anything that moves. good luck with getting job

I'm not a fan of unions either... they tried to unionize my company awhile back, i told them if i couldn't trust the company i work for to pay a fair wage... i had no buisiness working for that company.

just my personal opinion, but i think auto unions are the reason new cars are so ridiculously overpriced..

:shrug:

As alot of you stated in your posts are reasons i'm leary of unions.The place i was at is kinda in a sense the same way,i've been there for 5 years and made it threw 45 lay offs up untill this one. I was there a year and a half and seen 2 guy's get axed that had 15 years in just cause they didnt like them!Now with me this (sorry everyone it leaves a bad taste in my mouth) mexican thats been there for 1 1/2 years still has his job and i dont! I'm sure it has alot to do with pay!I can do mechanical,weld,fit,paint,air&hydraulics,test equipment,run every machine in the machine shop,and they even trust me to supervise on swing shift,and also have a key to every single door in the place! The mexican.....all he can do is weld and he still has a job! Go figure! peace

good luck with the job but there is nothing wrong with being in the union and some of these remarks are funny.i work in a union shop and i'm proud to be a union member whether you are in a union shop or not you are expected to do your job and if you don't you will get canned.