Things to do before Supercharging...

goldsmjr

May 7, 2005
Hi all,
I have a paxton novi 1000 sitting in my basement waiting to be installed. The problem is that I dont know whether or not it is a good idea to install it before I take care of a few things. First of all, I dont have any subframe connectors. Secondly, my tires are extremely bald. And lastly, I don't even know if my engine is in good enough condition for the supercharger. Anyways, just wanted your guys opinions about the first two items, and wanted to know how to tell if my engine was a good candidate for being blown.

Thanks in advance
Jon

91-5.0-GT-90,000 miles
-BBK Headers
-Flowmasters + High Flow Cats
-Shortshifter
-WC T-5 - Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73's
-Steeda Lowering Springs - BBK Lowers - 17x9 Cobra R Rims
-5 Lug Conversion with Cobra Discs all around

• Sponsors (?)

I'd be willing to be with 90k that your engine is fine...but a leakdown/compression test will tell you. I believe you will want 120+ on all 8 cylinders if possible.

You will want 24 or 30lb injectors calibrated with a matching mass air flow sensor (MAF)...and a 255lph fuel pump.

A nice tune is crucial. Try to find a reputable mustang dyno shop around your area that is familiar with it so they can burn you a chip for your car...and you should be good to go.

Higher octane and lower timing will be needed along with different spark plugs.

Yep, I'm with David. Do a leak down and compression test. If you don't have that equiptment, take it to a shop and have it done. Shouldn't cost too much. Do a good tune up with atleast 1 range colder spark plugs.. .(if you have stock heads, use Autolite 24s). Pump, injectors, MAF, and a tune. Stay away from FMUs... they are designed to make it run rich (safe). You can pull more hp out of the right injectors/maf and a tune. Good luck! :nice:

Im not too worried about making the MOST hp. Obviously any blower is gonna boost my hp substantially. But I have heard that I will be fine just using the stock injectors and FMU....with no need for a larger fuel pump and throttle body....is this true?

I just searched the archives and found a few post with people saying that if you are running a near stock car with low boost levels the stock 19#'s and FMU will be fine. This clearly isn't the best way to run your car but will suffice. Can anyone validate this statement...?

Your car will run fine with the fmu and stock injectors. The FMU reads a vaccum source and jacks up your fuel pressure when it sees boost. It makes you really rich. Everyone says get injectors and a MAF because 98 out 100 times, you'll upgrade to that anyway.

Make sure you do a compression check. If you are under 6 psi on a stock motor and run a FMU then I would say you are fine with 19lb injectors, although not the best. You will also want to have a good ignition system and make sure your fuel pump is up the task.