think i should swap to synthetic??

• Sponsors (?)

my car has been using synthetic since it had 25000 miles on it, which is a little late for a car. at over 100k on the car all the synthetic will do is clean out the groves and make the engine lose compression. that is what i have heard anyway. feel free to correct me if I am wrong

With that many miles, keep using regular oil. IMO at that level, the "damage" is already done.

My new motor has about 70 miles on it, i'll be switching to synthetic at about 500 miles :)

bjgt2 said:
my car has been using synthetic since it had 25000 miles on it, which is a little late for a car. at over 100k on the car all the synthetic will do is clean out the groves and make the engine lose compression. that is what i have heard anyway. feel free to correct me if I am wrong
:stupid: A lot of people I trust have told me that. Is it the same for evey part of the car(diff, tranny etc.)?

IMHO it comes down to the individual motor (or component, since trannies, etc were mentioned). No real rule of thumb - just some common sense.
Doing something like an Auto Rx and a short OCI on synthetic and then extending the intervals has worked for many many people.

If a motor has had decent oil and decent OCI's, I would take that motor with 150K for a synthetic conversion over a motor with 25K that seldom had the oil changed, and when it was, it was with cheapo (like old G-I) oil.

IN my experience, manual tranny's and diffs are just as prone to the potential leak issues that show up when high mileage engines are switched. My tranny is relatively new - switch to Amsoil synth atf worked fine. My rear end came out of a turbo wagon with over 200K on it -- I had to pull the rear cover off and go back with a new gasket/sealer/bolts to stop it from leaking when I switched to Amsoil synth diff lube. Same issue on at least 2 other cars that had higher miles on the rear end when switched.

I just changed mine motor oil over to synthetic. I LOVE it. Definitley a big difference. Makes me feel better that I know my motor is getting the best lube. BTW, my car has 69,000 miles on it.

Next up will be tranny fluid and diff fluid