Thinking about buying a '98 Mustang... Can somebody help me out?

It's for sale at a Honda dealer near me for $2,200. It looks really clean in the pics. 98,000 miles, 2 owners. No rust or dents. The main thing I'm concerned about is the gap between the driver side rear tail light and the trunk lid. It looks huge and uneven. It has a clean CarFax, no accidents reported, so I don't know if it looks the way it does because it's been in a wreck or if it's just poor build quality, but it looks terrible to me. I uploaded pics of it from the driver side rear and passenger side rear so you can see the difference.

So basically my question is, does it look normal for these cars? If so, can it be lined up properly??

Attachments

• stang.jpg
    stang.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 101
  • stang2.jpg
    stang2.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 101
  • Sponsors (?)

It is normal for Mustangs to have slightly off lines like that after an accident... And remember, not all accidents show up on Carfax. :nice: My car has been rear ended once before by a previous owner, yet the title is flawless, and the Carfax checks out great. Only way you could tell was judging by the resprayed (and replaced) rear bumper, and one tail pipe being slightly off. Nothing dumps couldn't solve! :D All in all that car seems like a good deal though, depending on how it runs, drives, feels, etc. :flag:

It is normal for Mustangs to have slightly off lines like that after an accident... And remember, not all accidents show up on Carfax. :nice: My car has been rear ended once before by a previous owner, yet the title is flawless, and the Carfax checks out great. Only way you could tell was judging by the resprayed (and replaced) rear bumper, and one tail pipe being slightly off. Nothing dumps couldn't solve! :D All in all that car seems like a good deal though, depending on how it runs, drives, feels, etc. :flag:

But does that gap between the tail light and trunk lid look "normal" to you? That and whether or not it can be straightened out are pretty much the basis of my post. I read another post on this site about 94-98 Mustangs having uneven bumper/trunk lid/tail light gaps, so I'm basically just trying to see if the gap that I'm talking about coud be a build problem from the factory, or something else...

BurninRub3r, I noticed that as well. It looks more like the drivers side was re-painted. The paint on the passenger side looks dull and flat. The paint on the rest of the pass side looks glossy, but.. not nearly as shiny as the bumper and quarter panel on the drivers side. I'd say there was work done on the drivers side. The pass side looks like the paint is old and faded, with what looks like worn paint on the very top corner. Also there is what appears to be a crease in the side of bumper cover on the pass, just below where the tail lamp ends at the qtr panel. Maybe its my eyes. If the work is on the pass side, then they did a really sh**y job .. I would look it over underneath. Make sure all the bumper clips are attached. Make sure the fuel filler tube isn't loose... and lastly .. make sure the seal between the trunk is tight. I wouldn't worry about a little light damage like that, but if the trunk wont seal then you'll have water leaks. Check the tail lamps for condensation. If one of them has even the slightest amount inside, then it has been damaged.