• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech

Thinking About Buying A Mustang

  • Thread starter Thread starter Deathtrap
  • Start date Start date Apr 28, 2016
D

Deathtrap

New Member
Apr 28, 2016
4
0
1
Apr 28, 2016
#1
  • Apr 28, 2016
  • #1
Hello, I've been a Chevy guy most of my life and now I'm looking for a 96-04 Mustang GT. I was looking to see if I can get some pointers of whats good and what might be good to avoid. My goal is to find a solid car for a weekend toy. I am thinking I want to do some basic upgrades put on a set of drag radials and maybe a small shot of nitrous and go run the street legal class at the local dragstrip.

There are about three 96-04 Mustang GTs in the local classifieds right now. I just want to do some research before I buy the wrong car. Most of the cars I have seen are manual transmission cars. I am assuming the manual transmissions are stronger in stock form. As far as my preference goes I just want the one that will hold up the best.

Any advice you guys can offer will be greatly appreciated.
 
R

revvv

Member
Mar 26, 2016
31
5
18
Apr 29, 2016
#2
  • Apr 29, 2016
  • #2
For drag racing I would go with an automatic. I have a manual, and I am pretty good at running through the gears, but it takes a lot of skill to launch and outrun an auto in a drag race.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
 
D

Deathtrap

New Member
Apr 28, 2016
4
0
1
Apr 29, 2016
#3
  • Apr 29, 2016
  • #3
revvv said:
For drag racing I would go with an automatic. I have a manual, and I am pretty good at running through the gears, but it takes a lot of skill to launch and outrun an auto in a drag race.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Click to expand...
Thanks for the heads up.How reliable are the automatics? I think I can drive decent enough to pull it off. I haven't driven a manual in a while but if they are tougher and can stand up to a little more abuse than a auto I would probably go that route. Not to mention I do want to drive the thing once in a while. I'm just at the point where I am over loose convertors nasty cams. I don't mind doing some shorter gears but I'm tired of full out race car stuff on the street.
 
R

rjmarth21

New Member
Aug 23, 2015
3
0
1
May 4, 2016
#4
  • May 4, 2016
  • #4
The 4r70w in these cars is actually a pretty darn good automatic transmission. Had an 01 automatic gt with 180,000 miles and the thing still shifted crisp and hard. There's a mod you can perform to the transmission called the j-mod which makes shift crisper. Definitely a good thing to look into for any kind of harder driving.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
 
D

Deathtrap

New Member
Apr 28, 2016
4
0
1
May 5, 2016
#5
  • May 5, 2016
  • #5
Thanks for the info I will have to look into the mod you mentioned. There are a few cars locally for sale one is an auto transmission the rest are 5 speeds. I just haven't had the time to go look at anything yet. Hopefully by the end of next week I will have time and something good will come up for sale.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

9
Will I feel a difference
  • 90Stanger302
  • Mar 12, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
309
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Apr 13, 2026
Noobz347
F
Ford 460 swap
  • Ford460
  • Sep 13, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
205
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 14, 2026
Ford460
F
H
1966 mustang starter and pulley troubles
  • Hotrods4ray
  • Sep 24, 2025
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
436
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jan 10, 2026
Realmongo
Looking forward to collaborating with my new community
  • phil2001svt
  • Sep 24, 2026
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
10
Views
183
The Welcome Wagon Sunday at 7:56 PM
DadLife0724
W
Speedometer and shifting issues
  • wyatt-tetro891
  • Aug 17, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
213
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 18, 2026
wyatt-tetro891
W
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?