Thinking About Buying A Mustang

Deathtrap

Apr 28, 2016
Hello, I've been a Chevy guy most of my life and now I'm looking for a 96-04 Mustang GT. I was looking to see if I can get some pointers of whats good and what might be good to avoid. My goal is to find a solid car for a weekend toy. I am thinking I want to do some basic upgrades put on a set of drag radials and maybe a small shot of nitrous and go run the street legal class at the local dragstrip.

There are about three 96-04 Mustang GTs in the local classifieds right now. I just want to do some research before I buy the wrong car. Most of the cars I have seen are manual transmission cars. I am assuming the manual transmissions are stronger in stock form. As far as my preference goes I just want the one that will hold up the best.

Any advice you guys can offer will be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

For drag racing I would go with an automatic. I have a manual, and I am pretty good at running through the gears, but it takes a lot of skill to launch and outrun an auto in a drag race.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

For drag racing I would go with an automatic. I have a manual, and I am pretty good at running through the gears, but it takes a lot of skill to launch and outrun an auto in a drag race.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Thanks for the heads up.How reliable are the automatics? I think I can drive decent enough to pull it off. I haven't driven a manual in a while but if they are tougher and can stand up to a little more abuse than a auto I would probably go that route. Not to mention I do want to drive the thing once in a while. I'm just at the point where I am over loose convertors nasty cams. I don't mind doing some shorter gears but I'm tired of full out race car stuff on the street.

The 4r70w in these cars is actually a pretty darn good automatic transmission. Had an 01 automatic gt with 180,000 miles and the thing still shifted crisp and hard. There's a mod you can perform to the transmission called the j-mod which makes shift crisper. Definitely a good thing to look into for any kind of harder driving.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info I will have to look into the mod you mentioned. There are a few cars locally for sale one is an auto transmission the rest are 5 speeds. I just haven't had the time to go look at anything yet. Hopefully by the end of next week I will have time and something good will come up for sale.