THINKING ABOUT BUYING MUSTANG TO STORE...

• Sponsors (?)

I was thinking about buying a new Mustang GT, towing it to climate controlled storage. Does anyone think doing this could have some resale value in 25-30 years?

I could see you making money off an old Fox mustang like an 86-93 LX (these are selling for around 15k now), 03-04 Cobra (they are selling for 20-30k) with very low miles on them or a GT-500. Other then that I don't see you making any money off a GT in 25-30 years unless ford stops making mustangs.

I really doubt it. It's going to depreciate over the next few years no matter what you do to it. Only way it will begin to climb is if it's a rare or desirable model. A plain ole GT is not this.

Fox Mustangs are about 25-30 years old now, and the low mileage regular cars struggle to bring in $15K. When you factor in inflation, these cars are selling at 75% initial sticker price. Some of the rare models (1993 Cobra R) may fetch a premium over initial purchase price, but these are cars with limited runs.

In other words....investing in a new Mustang GT is not going to make you money. Plus you need to factor storage costs in over 20-30 years. More than likely, you will lose money

In general, cars are awful investments. The only exception would be rare AND desirable models. Certainly, there are plenty of rare cars, but many of them were rare because of poor sales and generally being failures... which makes them less desirable/valuable.

I hate it when people buy cars as investments. Rare cars should be shown and driven. Not hidden in a garage for 30 years. :nonono:

Maybe for the 'fun' of doing such a thing. My best investment guess is it would retain its current value plus inflation, not sure anymore than that. Especially if you leave everything new on it, has less than 100 miles, as if it were fresh from the factory (plastic wrap on seats and such). Some people that want to relive their early years, and got the money, might spend a lot on something like that 30 years down the road. Investing is a gamble, might work, might not. If you have a climate controlled storage, that would help costs.

If you let a car sit 20 years....not exactly healthy for the car. You'll need new tires, all the bushings will break down as well, gaskets and seals in the engine may be questionable...etc etc. Even in a climate controlled garage, this stuff will deterorate due to oxygen which is nasty on rubber. Unless you store it in a vacuum or time capsule, nothing you can do about it.

Might cost you money in the end to get a driveable vehicle. Factor in storage costs for 20 years, and you'd be lucky to break even on a GT.

Just to echo what everyone else has said, one guy stored a 35th Anniversary (same as a GT, but at least somewhat more rare) for about 10 years and sold it for about half sticker. That was with less than 100 miles on it.

I just can't see it making you any money. And I don't think I could let it sit for more than a few months before I broke down and drove it.

Very poor investment. The only ones that may be worth it would be the super rare ones, like the GT500KR and GT500SS. Barret-Jackson did a great job of inflating classic car values, but if you look at selling prices over the last few years, they've gone down quite a bit. What would've fetched $100K+ on the auction block is fetching $30K-$50K. While we can't anticipate what we'll be driving in 30 years, nor what the used car market will be like, it's impossible to say whether you would come out on top, but it's about as risky as investing in polar ice caps right now.

If you are looking for pure financial gain, it is a terrible idea. I don't see any way that you could make money on a run of the mill GT. Say you spend $30k on a new one and pay cash. After 20 years, that $30k would've been worth $40,400 if you left it in a savings account with 1.5% interest. Keep in mind, that is a very low interest rate and it would likely be higher average over that long of a time period. Now add in the cost to insure the car for 20 years. Even with bare minimum coverages, you'd still probably spend maybe $500/year average to insure. That's another $10k, and again factor interest you COULD'VE earned on the money you are paying along the way, and that makes it more like a cost of $12k. Let's just forget maintenance costs and the cost of the space you are using to store the car.

So far we are at around $52k to break even, without maintenance costs. If you have to finance the vehicle, that makes it even worse. That is for a 20 year time period. 30 years adds another 15-20k to that.

Now let's look at what run-of-the-mill GT's are worth that are 20-30 years old. This is a bit harder, but ebay and whatnot can help...
1991 Mustang GT Convertible, 25k miles: $12,888
1988 Mustang GT, 1500 miles: $10,500
1988 Mustang GT Convertible, 10k miles: $17,500
1979 Mustang Indy Pace Car, restored: $7k
1978 Mustang King Cobra, 130k miles: $7500
Even a 1993 Cobra w/ 45 miles is going for $24,500 (buy it now) - that vehicle's MSRP was right around $20k and only 5,000 were made in total.

Those mustangs values are low because they aren't collectible or desirable. They are just plain-jane old mustangs. In 20-30 years, so will a 2010. It has no special or unusual features, it isn't rare, and it isn't unusual. I don't even really see something like a Bullitt being worth much more, since really there is little difference between it and the stock GT. And I DEFINITELY don't see one of them being worth $50k+ to make it a worthwhile investment.