Thinking About Going E85

wideopenthrottle

Jul 22, 2014
So I'm at the decision making time in my build. Chassis/diffwork done tranny and motor is next.

I have put together the following parts through Craigslist/swap meets/ trades:
-afr 185s 58cc no heat crossover
-new untouched cobra upper & lower (will be match ported to heads)
-Anderson power pipe
-dbx85mm
-accufab 75mm tb
-American thunder flows2.5 inch
-bbk 1 5/8 2.5 inch collector headers
-will have a custom X pipe made with cut outs after the crossover 2.5 inch
-scat 347 crank (new)
-scat h beams (new)
-python 44lbs Injectors
-1.6 roller rockers
-will have a custom ground cam ( when I decide where I am headed I.e.e85 or not)

I know it's gonna be a .30 over motor but I am wondering if my intake/head setup would be able to achieve enough flow and timing to be able to run e85. I was thinking of getting some -6 or -9 cc pistons (head gasket will vary) to put my compression up to 12 to 1. I know it will req a tune need to figure that out open to suggestions.

My goals are low 11s bc it's a vert. I would like the car to make peak power @6k rpm since the valve springs and intake are limited to that. This is not an everyday driver it's a weekend/track car but I'd like it to be dependable.

Just wondering if 12 to 1 is doable with what I have in terms of timing rqd/ flow if it's not i may just build an 11:1 flat top motor and buy smaller injectors. Help tips appreciated :).

• Sponsors (?)

There is another Stangnet member, Grover Dill who has 1100 HP twin turbo Mustang that runs strictly on E85. Maybe you can message him and ask him what mods he did to his Mustang to convert to E85.

I do know that the area he lives in, he too has the problem of availability of E85 fuel.

Availability isn't an issue there's enough around me.

Replacing lines isn't a big deal I think. Everything I'm reading is saying to replace all rubber lines which isn't too much, basically only @2-3feet to tank and rails.

Fuel Pump will Be upgraded to push the injectors, even through I think the car has a walboro 255lph.

The best route I see is an aftermarket computer, or starting out with a late model flex fuel computer. The problem I see is getting the stock computer, narrow band O2 sensors and stock injectors to get the amount of fuel right. While I do not know the complete list of changed parts to make a Flex Fuel vehicle, lambda with E85 requires much more fuel per air than gasoline. If you can overcome the extra fuel flow requirement, programming issues, and the problems with alcohol comparability with plastics, metals and rubber, the motor will run just as strong, and in my experience, cooler and smoother on E85. The mileage will stink, but the fuel is a bit cheaper.
I think our van and a truck I worked on have stainless fuel lines. Our Guru wrote that good quality aluminum lines should be fine.

I agree with above. I think E85 is overkill and not worth it in your application. Also, the Conra intake will not be enough for your goal. Get a systemax, eddy rpm II, or maybe even a TFS R.

Joe