Thinking about going TURBO, talk me out of it?

FoxMustangLvr

I love my Pimp
SN Certified Technician
Oct 14, 2012
Spokane, Wa
I've been debating this for a little while and now a decent deal has popped up locally for a NIB ON3 70mm complete kit including intercooler. Why should I not switch? I love my combo however I'm a little board with not having something to tinker with and I've always wanted to try this type of forced induction.

Current combo
Stock 302 from oil pan to lower intake
Kenne Bell Flowzilla supercharged at 11psi, non intercooled
Stinger Pimp tuning platform
326rwhp/396rwtq

I would run a similar amount of boost with the turbo but I'd probably gain a bit more HP from being intercooled which will help greatly with IAT's especially during the summer time. I hate the under hood heat that turbo's make and all of the heat shielding and wrapping required to keep it in check. I would upgrade the wastegate and BOV which seems to be a popular choice to do.

Jack stand jokes aside, why not?

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I would think you wouldn't be gaining a ton of HP but you will be pushing it higher in the rpm range.
If the main goal is lower AIT's then couldn't you intercool the KB somehow? This would allow you
to "tinker" and gain some hp.
I have to say I've had four different s/c set-up on my 302 (along with various hci's) and had fun with all of them
but since I've gone to n/a stroked 351w I've been very happy.
If you really want to tinker you could always go that route..lol
Well not sure if I talked you out of anything, more or less just gave my opinion, sorry.
FYI I also run a Stinger Pimpxs , great system!

I for one think you should do it. Just so that I can read your thread about how much more fun the KB was and how you seldom really get into good turbo ranges on the street. You should get some quick g-force pulls during your normal driving with the KB so you can compare them with the turbo.

My prediction is that you'll go from 400rwhp over this much RPM range
[--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------]

to 500-ish rwhp at peak RPM and less than 300 hp for the rest of it.
.......................................300+[-----------------------------------------]

I can put the kb on the exxon valdez and then compare it to the turbo your gonna use.
just offering that up as a comparison, you know, help a fellow stangnet member make a informed decision. :rolleyes:
Having to pull an oil tanker behind you to make all the way down the 1320 might give you a disadvantage.

• Haha
so tap an 1/8th NPT into the outlet hat and plumb in some W/Meth that will significantly lower the IAT temps. This is what i do, takes my 220* IAT all the way down to 130ish* This is with a less efficient M112 Blower at 11PSI. Lowering the temps will stop it from pulling timing and even just 2* of timing can be alot of HP.

IAT's is only a small part of it honestly. Mostly it's about tinkering and experiencing a turbo powered 5.0. I would keep my twin screw on the shelf, I wouldn't sell it. I honestly wouldn't mind intercooling my current setup because I hate cruising at 150+ IAT when it's 90* ambient. I just wish I had an extra discharge manifold to do it with, the price of messing one up is high and that's if you can find one.

I think the whole run the engine higher to build similar power with a turbo is crap. There's got to be some parasitic power penalty, and hardship on the crank directly related to using a belt driven supercharger. Adding boost is a complicated process requiring pulley and belt swaps. And when it's all over and done, you have super hot IAT's.
Ask Craig how quickly my weanie assed 6 gets into boost, and at what percentage of throttle. Ask Steve how cool my IAT's are without any intercooler of any kind except water meth, and while you're at it, ask him how linear the boost curve is.
Ask me how easy it is to make 7 psi go to 15.

It's all a matter of getting the right one for the given combo.

• Agree
Not going to hear any reason's from me not to go turbo. I've seen quite a dew dyno graphs of both, and though the KB comes on almost instantly, a properly sized and built turbo system quickly outruns it.

Last edited:
Buy the turbo, leave the kb on the car. Add turbo, pulley kb to 6-8 psi set wastegate to 12psi.
Blower will make the engine (larger) spooling the turbo sooner, compound boost setup comes on instantly and will run lower iats as the blower is not working to pull air in.
Add meth spray and smile.

• Agree
  • Happy
Reactions: 4 users
On3 customer service is non existent... My kit fits decent. Actually, had no fitment issues. The oil feed line fittings and adapter were the wrong thread pitch for the block or sender extension. The turbo inlet is close to the upper radiator hose. Makes it difficult ( if not impossible ) to find a filter . I used a 90 degree coupler turned towards the inner fender to fit a filter.

I've been wanting to purchase the hot side again ( just for a spare ) and a test pipe section for a catalytic converter ( want to be able to swap it out ). They don't return emails. Been trying, off and on, for 2 years. LMR did get them to call me when I ordered my kit... for shipping info. Guess they're busy and I see why. The kits they provide have really improved over the years.

Don't go turbo.... the sound is addictive. Intense smiling will cause your face to hurt. Too much attention. Traction problems in 4th gear. Subaru drivers will stalk you ( they really will ).

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a huge fan of turbo and usually anything I own has one on it but have you considered adding a alky injection kit? You already have a stinger so you would be able to fully take advantage of it with your tune once dialed in.

His setup is pulling loads of timing with intake temps above 200* if I remember right it's in the order of like 4-5* to stave off detonation. Just the alky kit with no other tuning and a 14gph nozzle will wake up some serious power.

You're only making 326rwhp running 11psi? You're running stock E7 heads? Thats holding you back big time!

I'm putting down 400rwhp at 10psi with 302 stock bottom end componants (other than balancing), mildly ported GT40 irons and Explorer intake. 1.7 rockers with stock cam.

I would seriously think about getting some better heads if I were you. Those E7's are gonna bottle neck a turbo too.

Get some nice aluminum heads and lose weight too.

Reactions: 1 users