Thinking of selling

Grn92LX

Fidanza Man!
Founding Member
Jan 14, 2001
New York
I've been thinking of selling my car lately. Not sure if I wanna sell it as is with most of the mods or put it back to near stock and sell off my many parts. I just feel that I don't need a "race" car anymore. I don't race, I just like cruising around. I don't need a low 11 sec capable car for this. I was thinking of buying a newer more normal mustang like a 96-98 Cobra or a 00 GT or something like that. Just something I can do 4.30 gears, exhaust and bull sh it like that and be content. The thought of a newer car intrigues me. I have a ton of money in my car, everything is basically done: 11:1 pump gas 347 stroker, tremec tko trans/killer drivetrain, fully built rear/4.30's ect, suspension. Thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

alright.. i went from my 92 GT to a 98.. let me tell ya.. it was night and day difference.. drivin and smoothness.. the 98 had it.. power and funness.. 92 had it.. handling the 92 ate it up.. only thing the 98 had was colder AC.. and that was it..

90mustangGT said:
Trust me, you won't be happy with the newer mustang. It's just not the same. What advantages would the newer one's have?

As far as advantages, thats simple. Brake better, feel better, ride better. I just feel I do not need a low 11 second capable car. I don't race it, nor do I have any ambition to race it. I just like to cruise around, I don't street race anymore and the track is in another state so I don't go there much.

Obvioulsy my car has the power advantage. But I don't drive it much except maybe on a friday or saturday night.

As expected you will lose money when you sell a heavily modified 5.0, I took the s-trim off my 88 before I sold it and made more money that way. Anyways I love my 96 cobra, I had two 5.0s before I bought it and there is a reason why its the only mustang I still own.

Don't do it! I couldn't fathom the thought of selling mine. You've got your heart, blood and sweat into that thing. Like me, your closest racetrack is in another state. That bothers me too but I don't let it get me down! We're going up to New Hampshire for the Fun Ford Event next month and it's a 2.5 hour drive for me. I'll drive it up there, beat it all day and drive it home (if nothing breaks.) I haven't broken anything up there yet so hopefully my luck will continue. Anyway, DON'T do it, you'll regret it.

like i said... whats wrong with cruising around in a 11 sec car... looks badass, sounds badass... and when some little evo's, sti's or any other little 12-13 sec car... you can show them whos boss... or when some newer mustang owners who think the 5.0 is weak... u can show them whos boss... you dont need to race it just because its fast... just the thought of knowing its fast should be enough

Ok, I was in the same boat. My fox is going to be a full drag car but streetable. Well, I thought I want a car that can handle, go fast, brake better, that kind of thing, and notice the Camaro in my sig. that I got a pretty sweet deal on. Well, that camaro will beat on any mustang stock except a newer Cobra. The brakes, and cornering is a night/day difference than pretty much any Mustang. I now know why they call it a "poor man's vette". I handles better at 100mph than it does at 40 with just springs and SS wheels.

However, it is no substitute to a foxbody. With a foxbody, you get a better sinsation of speed, and it feels faster than it actually is.

PS: Oh yeah, I will get my car back togeather within time, and I'm comming up there to race your yanky ass, so you have to keep it. That settles it! :jester:

I was thinking of getting rid of my 90 GT. I was getting fed up working on it rather than driving it - its has a 331, ported TW heads, Jay Allen cam, full suspension etc. It chewed through 2 thrust bearings and I was getting ready to chuck it. Well, finally got it running well enough so I could sell it. I had my eye on an 03/04 cobra, or an 06 GT with the idea of tossing on a supercharger. Went out and test drove both of them - I still got the fox! Maybe its just me but I can't stand the interiors of the newer mustangs - the 05/06s are okay, but the rest of them stink IMHO. My fox pulls harder than than the 03 cobra, and handles as well (according to my SOTP meter). Its just a blast to drive - its not a low 11 sec machine (probably mid 12s if I could drive worth a crap) but it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it - I put on a little smoke show leaving work today! However its not so much fun at the pump - I'm getting about 14 mpg since all my driving is usually 40mph or less around town - but if you wanna play, ya gotta pay!

I'll tell you what I told WhiteHeat306.

I have owned 5 Fox Bodies and now my first new style Mustang.

I understand EXACTLY how you feel. I had a solid roller, carbed/N2O Fox at one point and now I have my 04 Cobra. I do not regret selling any of my cars one bit. The Cobra is SO much nicer to drive it is not even comparable in my book.

And you can still have a low 11 second car with ALL the drivability with just exhaust and a pulley/tune.

It's all what YOU want. Plain and simple.

I still Love Fox Bodies and always will. Heck, thats what got me into Mustangs to start with. But there is nothing wrong with wanting better drivability.

I say do what ever will make YOU happy.

I'm sure WhiteHeat306 feels the same way.

Good luck either way Mike.:flag:

Even though my foxes were nothing fast or anything, the day I test drove the 2000 gt that I baught, I fell in love and had to have it. It was a wolrd of a difference between any of the foxes. I have driven a 95 gt before and that still wasnt anything compared to the 00 that I got. I know things arnt as cheap, easy to work on and stuff like that with the 4.6's, but Im so much happier right now, Id love to buy another fox body some day, but with as much driving as I do, just wotn happen for a while. If I was you, id think about 03/04 cobra as 04sleeper said, its all the car you need in a simple package

Exactly what blownstanggt said. I couldn't be happier with my 99gt. I can drive it everywhere, its comfortable, it's quick enough for what i do since i don't race, and i actually like the looks better as well. If you want something in a newer car, i would look into a 4v car. I'd bet with the money you put into your fox, you could have bought a terminator, or very close to it. Also, if you are going to sell your fox, i would suggest taking off the parts that are easy to get off, you should be able to make some more money that way.

I've been through this several times and the end result is the same. I was alright for a few months but then the mods start taking place. If you are gonna mod a car at all just keep what you got. Especially if its paid for...it ain't eatin nothin, lol. If you want something newer just buy something newer but keep your car. I know the money would help out with the new car but are you really gonna be money ahead if you get another car and then start throwing money at it? I know, I know you are gonna say I am gonna leave it alone except for this or that LMAO. Won't happen. I have been there and done that.
Fast cars are like sex, once you have it you always want it!

Yes, the newer stangs are much more comfortable and better to drive. If I needed to use it for work and drive 40+ miles everyday, I would defaintly think about getting a new mustang. I use the one I have now to cruise around on weekends and take to the track when I get the chance.

If you wanna drive your car a lot more, I say get a newer stang if you can't handle what you got now.

Mike,

I'd only ask you to take your time making the decision. Your car isn't depreciating. So, you don't have to hurry with your decision. You could put it in a shed, take it out in 5 years, and it would still be as valuable. It's also not a liability because you don't have a monthly payment.

Those new cars are very nice. I think if you bought one, you'd probably miss the power you had when you had a built fox, but you'd also have a more reliable car that looks better to girls etc... It would also be a new project - I just don't see you owning a stock mustang.

Chris

edit: PS... don't bypass the language filter or I will let everyone know that you secretly like men

Nothing is set in stone. I dunno WTF I want to do.

As far as being reliable, I would say my car now will be just as reliable as a newer car if not more reliable.

If you wanna drive your car a lot more, I say get a newer stang if you can't handle what you got now.

Matt, I wouldn't say can't handle it lol. Woop de doo it can go low 11's if it hooked. Its just a matter of wanting something newer and more normal. Like I said, I don't need a lot of power.

If I got a 4v 98 cobra I would only do typical stuff to it. 4.30/4.56 gears, exhaust ect. I've learned a lot over the years and one of them is these cars can be money pits :D