this is driving me crazyyy!! Help

jomull55

May 20, 2007
lucas, OH
alright guys..
this has been buggin me soo bad for the last 8 months lol.. my brakes squeak as i roll down the road... only when im rolling or on the gas but it stops when i apply some brake... ive replaced everything twice ive put on new cross drilled rotors, then back to stock, then back to cross drilled. squeak is persistent. also have changed to different pads also.. can not figure this thing out i cant see any spots rubbing.. what should i do? its only when im rolling so i dont get it.. it stops when i apply some brake.. im pretty sure its coming from the front..

• Sponsors (?)

You said everything was replaced. Does that include calipers?

Have you replaced the caliper slide pins?

Good luck.

no the calipers were not replaced. or slide pins... it doesn't seem to squeek when its wet ouside for some reason

General causes of noise while the brakes are not applied can be:

Brake dust itself, warped rotors (we hope you ruled that out), sticky caliper pistons or worn slide pins. Though not hard and fast, sticky pistons in my experience tend to wear the inside pad more, whereas sticky slide pins can wear the outer pad faster.

The slide pins are meant to be replaced (they have a sacrificial coating), and new ones are not too pricey, though I'm not too impressed with the overseas replacements.

Good luck.

I had a similar problem though mine didnt start until after I bought it and decided to turn the rotors to get rid of a pulsation. The fronts were really rusted on and I didnt think anything of it until I put them back together and there was a rotational squeak that went away with brake application. I assumed the front rotors were just warped and a few months later I upgraded my calipers, got new pads and new rotors... and the noise was still there, still the same. In the end, my last thought process was that the hub itself was causing the variation from the rust buildup that didnt clean up with a resurfacing disk. So I grabbed new ones from Advance and low and behold, noise was gone. Hopefully youll find out the source of the noise. Now that Ive worked on cars for four plus years, I cant stand any noise or condition that deviates from normal. Theres still two more in my car that Im working on. One is the cowl trim has some up and down movement that makes a little squeak at highway speeds and then theres a strange one that seems like its coming from the firewall area, a metallic little popping noise when the weight shifts from side to side. I was hoping it was the strut tower brace bolts being loose but to date Ive yet to find the source. Its annoying because no one else even notices it unless I have the windows up, music off and point it out for them a few times. But man do I hear it every time..:rolleyes:

well i changed the pads last week and didn't notice any more wear on the inside or outside pads... but is just annoying and embarassing to have a beautiful car rolling down the road squeakk squeakk.. chirp chirp mostly tho lol. ticks me off

alright guys..
this has been buggin me soo bad for the last 8 months lol.. my brakes squeak as i roll down the road... only when im rolling or on the gas but it stops when i apply some brake... ive replaced everything twice ive put on new cross drilled rotors, then back to stock, then back to cross drilled. squeak is persistent. also have changed to different pads also.. can not figure this thing out i cant see any spots rubbing.. what should i do? its only when im rolling so i dont get it.. it stops when i apply some brake.. im pretty sure its coming from the front..
I would have some one stand next to the car and check for sure if it's front or rear, assuming it squeaks at a slow roll. I have found that the rear hardware clips get loose or are missing all together causing the pads to vibrate and make noise. I have also beveled the pads along the edges, and used the red gunk (which looks like crap) but sometimes works. A hard metallic pad will squeak a little till they break in, or switch to a Kevlar pad, they seem to squeak less and produce a little less dust. I always use caliper grease on the slides, and a thin film on the backing surface of the pads, as well as a very fine cut on the rotors with a non directional fiinsh that helps too. Good luck :flag: