Those who question 4.6's longevity.

:rlaugh: :lol:

Well so far i've got 21.5k good miles on my 02 GT and couldn't be more pleased. For once i'm not worried my vehicle will strand me on the side of the road (like my dodges did :( ).

the 4.6L is in general a very strong motor. Someone said they questioned the reliability because theirs had to be replaced under warranty. My comment to that is what % of them are replaced? Maybe .01% which is one in every 10,000 or so. Anytime you selling a v8 vehicle for such a cheap price your going to have a manufacturing process thats not absolutely perfect. I think ford did a good job striking a balance of good reliability and affording cost with some quality control.

kirkyg

• Sponsors (?)

kirkyg said:
My comment to that is what % of them are replaced? Maybe .01% which is one in every 10,000 or so. Anytime you selling a v8 vehicle for such a cheap price your going to have a manufacturing process thats not absolutely perfect. I think ford did a good job striking a balance of good reliability and affording cost with some quality control.

kirkyg

i agree!

my friends 2002 Z28 just chunked a rod out the side of the block with only 28k miles on it. it had exhaust(l/t, o/r y-pipe, borla) but the intake side was stock. he told me he missed 3rd and the motor sounded funny and then died..... i think he shut the lane down for the night. it's nice to have a friend with a tow-truck. :nonono:

it happens to all cars. no manufacture is perfect. :nice:

blkgt714 said:
Whats your experience with 4.6's? With someone with the name of 5.0's 4ever, how much weight can your comments on 4.6's really have.. :rolleyes:

My experience with the 4.6 is that I am technician at a lincoln mercury dealership and actually have more underhood time with the modular motors then I do with pushrod. I have also had three different motors in my cobra. The original motor came to a very quick death because the previous owner didn't keep up on oil changes. Second motor was a 99 version, the cam sprocket bolt going to my driver's cylinder head broke in half causing a lot damage. Third motor was another one out of another car and this one had a rod knock since the first day I started it up in my car. So know I am going to my fourth engine which I will build up with my old 96 block using forged internals and 03 cylinder heads.

I just turned 100,000 miles today while on a date. She's 4 years old and running stronger than ever. And I drive the girl HARD. Just goes to show that if you take care of your car, change the oil when yer supposed to, it will last a long time.[/QUOTE]

Holy crap, 4 years and 100,000 miles??? My mom's car is 10 years old and its only at 83,000 AND it's driven from boston to chicago many many times :p what do you DO with that thing?

:jaw:

My '97 started to knock something wicked after 60k+ miles, I bought the car with around 40k-something miles on it. And just finishing up putting an '01 block in it.......I don't blame the make of the 4.6 or durability of it........I blame the previous owner and the maitenance credability.

ExplodingTurtle said:
Holy crap, 4 years and 100,000 miles??? My mom's car is 10 years old and its only at 83,000 AND it's driven from boston to chicago many many times :p what do you DO with that thing?

:jaw:
It's my meditation. When I need to get away from the mundane, I drive. Plus I was driving round trip from Houston and Dallas (520 miles) once a month for half a year.

I have close to 40000 miles on a 2000 gt and no problems at all. Friends have 96 gt, 97 and 98 Cobras with 150,000 plus miles shot with way more nitrous than you should even think about run very hard. One of the Cobras smokes a little but still runs strong. I have F150 with 4.6 and 150,000 + and no problems, had another with 270,000 and ran great,( wrecked)I know others that buy trucks with the 4.6 and use them as srevice vehicles and keep to 150-175000 before replacing. With reasonable maintanance they will last a long time. I am sold.
Mister 5.0 guy... I do have a van with 250,000 miles that runs great too.
BTW ..even new Hondas have some engine failures. :D