throttle sticky

rebel65

Feb 1, 2004
SF Bay Area
hi all, i've noticed a problem with my throttle linkage sticking when i have my foot steady, not moving it just sorta stays there. kind of makes it no fun shifting when it stays at the same RPM :\. i'm thinking that it is some kind of binding ( 2 am atm so can't quite see in there ) i was wondering if someone had a better idea than that, if i let off the throttle fast it doesn't usually stick but if i keep my foot there and lift up gently it basically stays going the same speed. thanks for the help.

• Sponsors (?)

right, sorry for the delay in replies.

wicked, it is the stock '66 style ( with the bolt in the intake manifold ) and through the firewall i do believe it is going smooth in that part, i kind of hear what i think might be binding in the carb linkage part, but i am not sure. i'll try and spray some carb cleaner and see what's up.

rbohm, i am really leaning towards the return spring it seems weak when i poke it, but the weird thing is that i can only replicate the problem in the car using the gas pedal, if i pull on the linkage and hold it there for a while and let go gentle it does not do it, what kind of spray lube do you recommend i don't think i want to use wd40, such a temporary fix for anything.

2+2 the engine is not stock and is in my sig, i am unsure of the correctness of the spring, as it was installed when the new engine, 750 holley, and when i had a c4. since then all i have changed is a tko 600. ( lol 'all' ) but the idea that maybe something else was wrong other than the spring was why i posted : )
( for the next section sorry for the laymans )

@all does your stock linkage have a slight bend in the one bar that goes from the pedal bar going through the firewall to the carb linkage, the one that is sort of a z in shape or an N w/e. or is it straight? it's been so long since this car was stock i can't remember.

and i also forgot to mention i have a foot print gas pedal : ).

never had a problem when the engine was stock. ( i mean with the gas pedal ) so if you think that it possibly weighs more than the original pedal so maybe it needs a different spring, that sort of thing, i don't just want to replace the spring if that isn't the problem because i'm sure it will stop the stickyness but if there is something that should be fixed i would rather do that than a band aid.

I was going to suggest he takes it to Toyota to get it fixed... they should be pros at it by now.

I like the wd40 idea as A TOOL to help find the problem. Spray it and if the problem goes away, you now know where the binding it happening. Is it a fix? Well, only if you ask Toyota!

I was going to suggest he takes it to Toyota to get it fixed... they should be pros at it by now.

Sadly, it'll probably turn out like Audi, that it was a psychological problem. The Audi had a trans kickdown switch under the gas pedal. About the time nobody could find a mechanical fault, it was noticed that the cars in question had this switch crushed, by people stomping the gas pedal thinking it was the brake.

Ya know the gizmo authorities want on brake pedals to disable the throttle to "prevent" runaway engines? The Prius already HAS this. Doesn't seem to prevent the problem. Because it doesn't have a mechanical cause.

Get a second spring on there ASAP! Preferably one spring going from the top forward and one spring going from the bottom rearward. This keeps the throttle shaft from wearing on one side.

You don't want that one spring breaking with ~500hp motor. If it does break, it won't be when you are idling..