Thrown Rod On Rebuilt Motor!? How?

bhoove40

May 3, 2015
Got my mustang running with some help from the guys on this page ,
BACKGROUND- freshly rebuilt 302 , with a mild motor build. The guy who built this is a good friend of mine and has been doing it for 30+ years. Other than the motor sitting for 3 years wrapped I have no other information because he forgot. But gave me a good deal on the motor.

broke the cam in for 30 mins and drove it up and down the road slowly after. Changed the oil and checked again for leaks. I had a hard line for my temperature sensor and also the electronic one on the dash. The car was running at 196-200 Degrees and 59-60 pounds of oil pressure. I drove her really easy, and by that I mean I only hit 3000 RPM once and it was a few miles before I stopped to get gas 10-20 miles later. Next I'm headed home, stop at a stop sign and let the clutch out then driving , during my shift to second gear around 1900 RPM I heard a pow and a lot of pinging. No warning signs, sounds, no smoke coming out of the car, felt pretty hot but 195 degrees is pretty frigginchot and i didn't have a ladies therm. On the side of the road...
however, I Just tore the motor apart and found a lot of antifreeze in the oil pan, followed by oil, and aluminum. The #1 cylinder is shoved into the head and the rod was broken off at the cylinder (in not sure if the technical term here , sorry) but it broke where the socket look a like ends of the connecting rod go on the piston. Motors locked and pan Is full of debris. My first guess is it over heated but I had two gauges and also never lost oil pressure. The guy who built this motor is pretty decently known and I told him whom insists it got too hot. Is there anyway I can actually decifer if it did get to hot? I'm now putting the old stock Motor back in it, any help is appreciated as there is quite a bit of money on this situation and I'm a college guy just trying to have a toy. Any ideas on what could of happened guys?

- also, I took the lower intake off and in the front of the motor right where the timing chain is but underneath the lower air intake there is a hole in the block where I'm assuming the water got in because the cylinder rammed into the heads.

• Sponsors (?)

It sounds like something was left loose. Overheating will make the car die, blow head gaskets And all kinds of things. A rod tends to be from low oil, over use or wear.

Reactions: 1 users