Thrown Rod On Rebuilt Motor!? How?

bhoove40

May 3, 2015
Got my mustang running with some help from the guys on this page ,
BACKGROUND- freshly rebuilt 302 , with a mild motor build. The guy who built this is a good friend of mine and has been doing it for 30+ years. Other than the motor sitting for 3 years wrapped I have no other information because he forgot. But gave me a good deal on the motor.

broke the cam in for 30 mins and drove it up and down the road slowly after. Changed the oil and checked again for leaks. I had a hard line for my temperature sensor and also the electronic one on the dash. The car was running at 196-200 Degrees and 59-60 pounds of oil pressure. I drove her really easy, and by that I mean I only hit 3000 RPM once and it was a few miles before I stopped to get gas 10-20 miles later. Next I'm headed home, stop at a stop sign and let the clutch out then driving , during my shift to second gear around 1900 RPM I heard a pow and a lot of pinging. No warning signs, sounds, no smoke coming out of the car, felt pretty hot but 195 degrees is pretty frigginchot and i didn't have a ladies therm. On the side of the road...
however, I Just tore the motor apart and found a lot of antifreeze in the oil pan, followed by oil, and aluminum. The #1 cylinder is shoved into the head and the rod was broken off at the cylinder (in not sure if the technical term here , sorry) but it broke where the socket look a like ends of the connecting rod go on the piston. Motors locked and pan Is full of debris. My first guess is it over heated but I had two gauges and also never lost oil pressure. The guy who built this motor is pretty decently known and I told him whom insists it got too hot. Is there anyway I can actually decifer if it did get to hot? I'm now putting the old stock Motor back in it, any help is appreciated as there is quite a bit of money on this situation and I'm a college guy just trying to have a toy. Any ideas on what could of happened guys?

- also, I took the lower intake off and in the front of the motor right where the timing chain is but underneath the lower air intake there is a hole in the block where I'm assuming the water got in because the cylinder rammed into the heads.

It sounds like something was left loose. Overheating will make the car die, blow head gaskets And all kinds of things. A rod tends to be from low oil, over use or wear.

Reactions: 1 users