Throwout bearing starting to squeal...

SadbutTrue

Founding Member
May 1, 2002
Granada Hills, California
My throwout bearing is making a little squeal just about every time I push the clutch. Just noticed it yeseterday when I took my uncle out in the car.

Is there anything I can do (adjusting clutch perhaps) that can alleviate this, at least temporarily? I know my clutch needs to be adjusted but didn't think it was that bad... this throwout bearing is only 2 years old and is a pretty nice piece (supposedly).

Also... does it suggest that I might need to fix my shifting/clutching technique?

You're fine. Likely the bearing needs to be greased, though. Even if the bearing is rigged for this it's a serious pain to get at it with the grease gun.

Clutch adjustment should not effect this, or cause this. Go ahead and adjust it, though.

Be careful with regards to putting grease in there. You can easily contaminate your clutch, which will require replacement. For the T5 setups, the throwout bearing should be adjusted to slightly engage the pressure plate. Jack the car up and get under there to check how much play it's currently set for. Adjutments are easily done, you should be able to figure it out when looking at it. It's basically one nut and a jamb nut.

I also recall a recent post you had about your cluctch cable getting melted, which might be afecting your clutch/TO bearing. If the cable is not fully releasing because of bind, that might be causing a problem with the level of engagement on the TO bearing. Either way, you will need to get under the car to inspect what is going on.