thumper headed 5.0 vs 01 gt

old_blue

15 Year Member
Nov 3, 2003
friend is heading this way this summer with his freshly rebuilt 90 5 spd. has LT, thumper heads, trickflow stage 1 cam, tmoss ported lower explorer intake. wondering how I would fair against him in my 01 gt auto with just an exhaust. he also has 3.55's.

I used to race new edge with my 5.0 and would take them off the line but top end they would get me. my old 5.0 only had 373 and exhaust though at the time. I am thinking he is going to best me.

what do you guys think?

• Sponsors (?)

I have two opinions.

I raced a H/C/I/bolt on 5.0 5 speed with 4.10's in the 1/8th mile. At the time my car had everything in my sig except 4.10's. If I got the jump on him I could keep him at my bumper or door, but if he hooked he pulled me. Theoretically he should eat my car up.

I do feel he will walk away from your car easy though, especially with all that tourqe. Dont put any money on it, lol.

my buddy has one with h/c/i and some exhaust work and drag radials he runs an 8.1 at 87mph at 2500ft alt. thats also with a 2.0 60' which is his best 60'. thats his old setup he is in the process of installing a t76 turbo lol.

but to answer your question the 5.0 should win. they got the new edge in the weight department easily.

I figure the power to weight ratio and all the low end torque he will get me. should be fun anyways. He is suppose to get a tune and time slip next month so we will see what his true numbers are. he is thinking atleast 275rwhp and 310rwtq. I dont know why he is thinking that though.

very nicely ported E7 heads from a guy on here in the 5.0 section. Proven 12 second cars with his heads and a nice cam. A lot of guys on stangnet have them. I was going with them when I had a 5.0 but bought the 01 before I had the chance.

http://thumperoforangepark.com/

if I get another fox body I am ordering a set before I pick it up.

would be a great race, he'd get the jump on ya while you'd spank him up in the 6's

Ive only raced two foxs & both were coupes. Both were from a roll. I spanked the 1st by about 2 cars from a 60mph roll, so I assume it was stock-ish. The other was my buddies coupe with a 306, AFR 165's, Edlebrock performer intake, F cam, etc, & he spanked me from a 50mph roll....His car put down about 340rwhp on the Dyno, plus his car weighs about 400 lbs less than mine, so it was expected for him to beat me....

5.0 hands down. I think even if you have all bolts ons he'd edge you out. Good race for a Mach 1 IMO

Are you serious?!? :rlaugh: A Mach 1 would smack that 5.0L around like a Red Headed Step-child....no contest. They're honest to goodness mid/low-13 second cars. That 5.0L is a low-14/high-13 second car at best.

As for the bolt on 5.0L and the '01 GT...they're pretty close in the horsepower department. You've got to remember, although the 5.0L has ported heads and intake....they're still the stock ported heads and intake. It'll probably be a drivers race, but there won't be any hardcore "kill" in either direction.

really? local stang club guy has H/C/I and Lt's and puts down 297hp 350tq
guess i dont know enough about 5.0 parts

There's a big difference in a Mustang with an aftermarket H/C/I set up and LT's and one with a set of modified E7TE castings, a mild cam and no exhaust mods.

If those truly are all the bolt on's the guy with the ’90 has got, then don't bet on him putting down any more than about 230-240hp to the wheels.....tops

There's a big difference in a Mustang with an aftermarket H/C/I set up and LT's and one with a set of modified E7TE castings, a mild cam and no exhaust mods.

If those truly are all the bolt on's the guy with the ’90 has got, then don't bet on him putting down any more than about 230-240hp to the wheels.....tops

oh, well i just assumed heads mean business. Im using a modified stock PI casting, stage 1 cams, beehive springs, and PI intake and should put down a good deal more than that - 5.0's are underwhelming to me right now

:stupid: This was my set-up on my '93 GT: Catback, Midpipe, Shorty Headers, Edelbrock Aluminum Heads (1.90), 1.7 Cobra Rockers, Edelbrock Performer Intake, 70MM TB, 73MM Mass Air, UD Pullies, 18 degree Timing, 3.55 gears. I dynoed out at 245RWHP @ 285 RWTQ. Seemed low to me, but if that one guy is at 297RWHP with H/C/I he must have some heavy breathing parts.

:stupid: This was my set-up on my '93 GT: Catback, Midpipe, Shorty Headers, Edelbrock Aluminum Heads (1.90), 1.7 Cobra Rockers, Edelbrock Performer Intake, 70MM TB, 73MM Mass Air, UD Pullies, 18 degree Timing, 3.55 gears. I dynoed out at 245RWHP @ 285 RWTQ. Seemed low to me, but if that one guy is at 297RWHP with H/C/I he must have some heavy breathing parts.

it sounds like a damn cammed 351W. I didn't expect the 90' to put down those numbers, but assumed it was similar. Guessed I learned not to fear all modded 5.0's so much:nice:

Those #'s seem extremely low...The same day I dynoed my car, there was a 89 GT there & he put down 222hp & 287tq with nothing but an off road x, catback, underdrives, cold air kit, & bumped timing....I was very impressed that a nearly stock car would put down those type of #'s being that they are only rated at 225hp @ the crank stock....

I think your car shouldve been closer to the 290-300hp mark with those mods....

The other was my buddies coupe with a 306, AFR 165's, Edlebrock performer intake, F cam, etc, & he spanked me from a 50mph roll....His car put down about 340rwhp on the Dyno, plus his car weighs about 400 lbs less than mine, so it was expected for him to beat me....

More like 322 rwhp NOOB!..LOL

IMO, as long as the fox has all the rest of the supporting bolt on's plus full exhaust, he will beat your Auto '01 easily. I've seen guys on the Corral hit 260+ rwhp with ported E7's with larger valves and all supporting mods. Your car with an auto and just exhaust is making what 225-230 rwhp? Your talking he probably has 30 rwhp and a 400+ lb. weight advantage, you tell me who wins.