Ticking Noise After PI Swap

VTGT91

Jan 4, 2007
After finishing my PI swap the motor is making a really bad ticking noise on startup that continues til the car warms up really good and has been running for a while. Its a steady constant tick that will go away after some amount of time unless the motor is in a certain power band under load then it never really goes away. When I did the swap I put in new lash adjusters in the head and was thinking that maybe this could be the culprit. The only other thing that I could think of is that I also got a new timing set and put new tensioners, guides, chains and gears on it when I did it. The new tensioners were not the same as my '96 but the instructions said they were just an improved design and would work just the same. They do not have the ratcheting system like the original 96s do.

That being said I've decided to go ahead and change the lash adjusters. I do have the tool that you are supposed to use to get the adjusters out. I was able to get the passenger side adjusters out without removing the cam no problem. But have run into a problem on the driver side where the master cylinder and brake booster is in the way. Is there an easier way to remove the last adjusters on the drivers side without removing the cam?

TLDR: Can you get the lash adjusters out on the drivers side without removing the cam. And what other kind of noise could it be if it turns out to not be the lash adjusters? Thanks for the help in advance.

btw

1996 Mustang GT Romeo PI Swap.

• Sponsors (?)

Its definitely not an exhaust manifold leak. one of the reasons for doing the swap was that I had a leaking exhaust manifold gasket and did it all at one time. It's not the same noise. Its definitely a mechanical noise.

A guy from my mustang club just had this same ticking issue after his pi swap. He found the the gear slipped on the cam causing the valves to contact the piston. I've got pics. He didn't ruin the engine. Just the head.

They were used heads but I had them machined and put new valved in it. When your friend had the noise from the valve hitting the piston did it go away after a few minutes of running? my guess is that its not that because it does go away.

They were used heads but I had them machined and put new valved in it. When your friend had the noise from the valve hitting the piston did it go away after a few minutes of running? my guess is that its not that because it does go away.