Ticking noise.

795.0pacecar

lover of pudgy polygamists
Jul 11, 2003
Senoia, GA
I have a speed density 88 5.0.
In the mornings when its cold it makes a ticking noise, real fast high pitched ticks. When the engine warms up it will only ticks at low RPM high gear and when I give it more than half throttle.

Its hard for me to describe the sound, it doesnt sound like an exhaust leak, its realy strange.

• Sponsors (?)

:shrug: Thats not much info to go on. The fan hitting the shroud comes to mind. Try pulling the belt off and starting it up cold. Either way you will narrow it down. Just dont run it for long with no belt. Alternator comes to mind too. So does pinging, but not likely when its cold.

do the ticks change with rpm changes (i.e., increase when revved, drop when revs dip)?
it sounds like something that is tolerance related; as it goes through the heat cycle, it diminishes. could be valvetrain (what weight of oil you run, filter type, and how old is it)?
or header to block leak, as suggested.
can you use a mechanic's stethescope or a screwdriver to try to locate it? be careful and all that, BTW. :)
good luck.

It has 10w-40 and a fram filter, both only have 1000 miles on them and it didn't seem to start ticking untill alittle while after I changed the oil. If I just rev it it doesn't tick but as soon as there is any kind of load on it it makes the tick.

What did you suggest me to look at with a stethascope or a screwdriver? I did change the driverside headgasket because it was blown, but it made a totaly different noise.

The only answers I can come up with is, sticky lifters, bad speedo cable, or maybe the fan is hitting the shroud. But Im realy stummped, Im going to work on it tomorrow and try to see whats up.

795.0pacecar said:
It has 10w-40 and a fram filter, both only have 1000 miles on them and it didn't seem to start ticking untill alittle while after I changed the oil. If I just rev it it doesn't tick but as soon as there is any kind of load on it it makes the tick.

What did you suggest me to look at with a stethascope or a screwdriver? I did change the driverside headgasket because it was blown, but it made a totaly different noise.

The only answers I can come up with is, sticky lifters, bad speedo cable, or maybe the fan is hitting the shroud. But Im realy stummped, Im going to work on it tomorrow and try to see whats up.
how many miles is on the engine?

i dont think it is the fan. that would be constant, not heat related.
something to try would be scrapping the Fram. the drainback valve does not work. you can get some issues with it and start up and if it is clogged, you will bypass the filter altogether (the failure of this valve allows unfiltered oil to drain back into the sump overnight, creating some dry start issues and allowing unfiltered oil to flow throught the block).
i doubt that is the solution, but there is a chance. mostly for future reference. :)

i re-read and saw that you mention the low rpm in high gear part. any chance you are hearing detonation or preignition, and/or a backfire?

how is the oil pressure (and is it from the stock gauge or aftermarket?)?

if all else fails, were it me, i would toss a Motorcraft oil filter in and a quart of oil (cost: under 5 bucks) and see how it does. even if it does not help, it would give peace of mind.
(i have some links on oil filter stuff if you want).

my first guess would have been exhaust leak, BTW. symptoms sound pretty good to me for that. but you know how that sounds, so.........i dunno.

that is what comes to mind. im sure Jerry and others will have some other ideas.

I may try the filter change, I had a motorcraft before and I didn't have this problem, I got the fram because it was cheap. The engine seems to run just fine, theres just that high pitched ticking. I went to the dragstrip today and I didn't break anything and the ticking didn't get any worse so Im not too sure its something stress related.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

sorry if i was ambiguous, but i think it is heat and tolerance related , not stress related.

oh yeah, about the stethoscope.....put it (or a screwdriver) on various components when it is ticking (i.e., in the morning when the motor is cold) and listen for ticking (if using a screwdriver, hold your ear to the screwdriver handle). try it, it works well. the stethoscope usually has a longer cord and probe, making it easier to reach headers and things like that. if you think it is an accessory, as was mentioned by others, put the device of choice on each accessory and listen. you can really hear what is goin on inside each thing.
good luck.

Try taking the pluh wires off one at a time and see if you can get rid of it that way... my mechanic tried that when mine was knocking. turned out I crushed a lifter so that didnt really help....

My injectors tick, so maybe you're hearing that... Also, a Motorcraft filter is like 3.00 or less at WalMart, so try there. Never use a fram, unless you want to damage your motor. Those things are bad news. Everything else in this world that is orange usually means it's dangerous (IE- road cones and warning signs), so consider the orange filter to be the same.

astronut1885 said:
My injectors tick, so maybe you're hearing that... Also, a Motorcraft filter is like 3.00 or less at WalMart, so try there. Never use a fram, unless you want to damage your motor. Those things are bad news. Everything else in this world that is orange usually means it's dangerous (IE- road cones and warning signs), so consider the orange filter to be the same.
put the scope on the oil pan and listen to hear if you have a bearing going out , and Fram actually makes a good oil Filter ,

in the tests i read, the TG (middle Fram filter) did ok. the rest suck. but other cheaper filters did much better.