Tilt Wheel Is Collapsing/breaking

utemachine

Nov 7, 2015
I've owned my second fox body for 2 weeks now and live in the search and archives of this site. I can't however find anything on my issues.

89 Saleen with tilt wheel. Anytime you use the wheel to get in our out it collapses out of its current position into the lower position. I've already learned not to use the wheel as a handle the problem is two fold. The smog guy did it and worse when I'm driving it I feel like and serious force will cause it to break into the down position.

I had an 89 20 years ago and do not recall this ever happening. I'm hoping I don't have to replace the steering column. Thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

Never heard of that personally, its a simple mechanism, you will have to tear it down to see what is broken or bent, or find another column and r n r it. Not a big deal
You will likely have to buy a column for the parts, I have a couple stuffed in the mess I call a garage, I'd swap the column, easier

@madmike1157
It seems that I recall you fixing a similar problem in the past. If so, can you give this guy some help and direction?
Yeah, I looked back in my history to see what the problem was, but could only find one of the threads where I was the one asking the question. The one where I did all the fixing,.....I think it's w/i another thread.

In my case, the whole tilt head wobbled. There is a bearing in there, and I wanted to be able to get to it. Doing that is majory surgery though as the column is riveted w/ big thick steel rivets that the factory didn't want to come out. So the have to be drilled out. The end result after that is an explosion of stuff similar to a spring loaded mouse trap. Once all fixed,..all you can do is bolt the thing back together where the factory rivets were and there is no bolt/nut combo out there that is flat enough not to push the column trim out of shape.
I made mine work,.....but I make everything work.

There is no bearing in the tilt head pivot pin. It's just a steel dowel that goes through the outer aluminum "shell". There's a hardened steel insert that looks like its threaded that I drilled out. Once that was drilled out the two pieces separated. once apart, I could slide the shaft out of the pivot head, and there were two bearings in the pivot head. I did clean, and grease them, but could not see why the damn things were contributing to the problem. Again, separating the two pieces left me w/ the tedious procedure of drilling and tapping the main part attached to the steering shaft so that I could put new studs and nuts to put it back together. ( real pain in the ass). It did completely stop the shimmy in the wheel, the wobble, and the squeak, Still could not tell you what I did to stop it though. The only reason I can think of is because there is now preload on the column head from those Frankenstein stud-and-nuts that are now hanging out of my column,

Is it this one?

The mechanism that works the tilt has a couple springs, probably the one's that attacked Mike, and pins that will have to be dealt with, the body that holds the tilt mechanism is part of the upper bearing collar, yours likely has broken teeth on the lock arm. It looks like major disassembly from the one I looked at.
Best bet is to find a replacement.
Unless of course your adventurous, you'll need a parts column anyway.

I found a good price on what the guy says is a nice used column. Two questions before I buy it. The guy says it had cruise control and that I simply take the Saleen Momo wheel off of mine and put it on this one and there is your CC. Is this correct?

The plastic button to press and release the key from the ignition is broken off. I know I can disable that but is it easy to take the button off my column and put onto the new column?