• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech

Time for another bolt-on. WHAT?

  • Thread starter Thread starter 007
  • Start date Start date Apr 2, 2005
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
Next
First Prev 2 of 3 Next Last

Mike97gt

it doe snot
Founding Member
Jan 26, 1999
10,633
7
89
the people's republic of massachusetts
Apr 4, 2005
#21
  • Apr 4, 2005
  • #21
007 said:
I'm not into drag racing at all. My car is lowered with stiff suspension and the 18s. I'm far more interested in street/daily driver performance. Will the stall make any difference other than the launch (where I have dont have enough traction for the 4.10s anyway)?? I'm still tempted to go 5 speed over spending the cash too. Is a stalled auto as quick as a 5 speed? - it still dynos lower.
Click to expand...

yes the stall will make a difference from 0 all the way till the top of third..

in most cases a auto correctly stalled for the engine will outrun a 5-speed..

auto dyno numbers are going to be lower but a well built auto will make better use of the power... plus a auto shifts faster than a human can so you pick up some time there...

if your going too use wheels that are designed for pimping and not performance as you mod your car your going too have horrible traction problems..

you have a choice too make... pimp or go fast... real life is not the fast and the furious.. 18+ rims with really short sidewalls SUCK for performance.. and lowering sucks for lauching the car..

what your going too end up with as you mod this car is a stang with a lot of power that will get beat by stock stangs...
 

Mike97gt

it doe snot
Founding Member
Jan 26, 1999
10,633
7
89
the people's republic of massachusetts
Apr 4, 2005
#22
  • Apr 4, 2005
  • #22
one last thing...

i am not tring too tell you what too do with your car but this is what i have learned over the years 12 years since i have got my license and first car..

the only women impressed by big wheels and a system are the 14-17 year olds... when women get into their 20's they could care less about your car... in fact most of them see a car all pimped out they think the guys a tool...

that and the fact that i race my car is why i probally dont understand all the apperance mods people do...

i think my goals for a car is a lot different than yours...

at somepoint my car is going too 16 or maybe even 15 inch wheels.. drag radials, with drag shocks and springs without a sway bar in the front..
 

chinostang

New Member
Oct 7, 2004
40
0
0
Sac
Apr 4, 2005
#23
  • Apr 4, 2005
  • #23
Word on the pi converter and 16's for the track, firends fbird with 3000 stall hauls not even a contest any more between us. Atleast .4 average gain in 1/4 and just plain quick everywhere else.
 
J

JTAM963

New Member
Sep 5, 2004
64
0
0
Apr 4, 2005
#24
  • Apr 4, 2005
  • #24
i am doing a dr gas x pipe, flow catback and shorty headers..how much gain rwhp will i see?
 
0

007

Founding Member
Jan 29, 2002
3,287
24
69
Broke
Apr 4, 2005
#25
  • Apr 4, 2005
  • #25
JTAM963 said:
i am doing a dr gas x pipe, flow catback and shorty headers..how much gain rwhp will i see?
Click to expand...

Probably about 15 maybe 20 rwhp at most on an auto.
 
0

007

Founding Member
Jan 29, 2002
3,287
24
69
Broke
Apr 4, 2005
#26
  • Apr 4, 2005
  • #26
MikeZ28 said:
one last thing...

i am not tring too tell you what too do with your car but this is what i have learned over the years 12 years since i have got my license and first car..

the only women impressed by big wheels and a system are the 14-17 year olds... when women get into their 20's they could care less about your car... in fact most of them see a car all pimped out they think the guys a tool...

that and the fact that i race my car is why i probally dont understand all the apperance mods people do...

i think my goals for a car is a lot different than yours...

at somepoint my car is going too 16 or maybe even 15 inch wheels.. drag radials, with drag shocks and springs without a sway bar in the front..
Click to expand...


I'm definately going to weigh up the convertor some more.

As for our goals in a car, they are just plain different, no offense taken. This is my regular daily car, street driven and will never see the drag strip. I want it to look nice, handle well (I'd like to do an IRS swap), and be pretty quick because everything else on the road gets quicker all the time.
I hate the 4x4 look of a stock stang and the way they handle, and I love the 18s too. I have a wife and house and 3 other cars to suck up the money, and I have no intentions of making a race car. I'd never want to remove the swaybar!
 
C

ceyko

New Member
Oct 21, 2004
54
0
0
Apr 4, 2005
#27
  • Apr 4, 2005
  • #27
I did not read the whole thread but I'd start concentrating on that transmission.

List of stuff..no particular order...

-tranny cooler
-stall converter (2600ish)
-Tuner or JMod to tighten the shifts
-Aluminum driveshaft

Also a line lock would not be a bad idea, especially if you do the stall. Although the stall would probably be sort of expensive. The tranny cooler, tuner and driveshaft could be done for 6-700ish. No real HP gains, but it would get you through the gears quicker and a cooler AODE is a happier AODE.

Take care,
Ceyko
 
0

007

Founding Member
Jan 29, 2002
3,287
24
69
Broke
Apr 4, 2005
#28
  • Apr 4, 2005
  • #28
ceyko said:
I did not read the whole thread but I'd start concentrating on that transmission.

List of stuff..no particular order...

-tranny cooler
-stall converter (2600ish)
-Tuner or JMod to tighten the shifts
-Aluminum driveshaft

Also a line lock would not be a bad idea, especially if you do the stall. Although the stall would probably be sort of expensive. The tranny cooler, tuner and driveshaft could be done for 6-700ish. No real HP gains, but it would get you through the gears quicker and a cooler AODE is a happier AODE.

Take care,
Ceyko
Click to expand...


I have a chip for harder shifts, but would do a shift kit and cooler if I do the stall. Im thinking nearer 3000rpm stall. I have no need for a line lock and aluminum driveshaft isnt worth the cash yet.
 
C

ceyko

New Member
Oct 21, 2004
54
0
0
Apr 4, 2005
#29
  • Apr 4, 2005
  • #29
Actually, I have not verified this, a dude I "know" online uses the data logging capabilities on his Predators The point is that the 4.10s will cause higher TFT by about 20 degrees...due to the RPMs. You can get the tranny cooling kits for 50-100 bux, and have peace of mind.

I understand about the driveshaft though, I just can't bring myself to pay that either right now...for the slight benefit.

I personally want a line lock for more buttons.
 

stangliter04

New Member
Apr 4, 2005
185
0
0
Port St John, Florida
Apr 4, 2005
#30
  • Apr 4, 2005
  • #30
007 said:
Probably about 15 maybe 20 rwhp at most on an auto.
Click to expand...
 

stangliter04

New Member
Apr 4, 2005
185
0
0
Port St John, Florida
Apr 4, 2005
#31
  • Apr 4, 2005
  • #31
correct me if im wrong but I think stock GT and Cobra manifolds are the same... our manifold do actually flow pretty good I would leave the headders alone for now

$.02 thats mine put it into your next MOD
 
0

007

Founding Member
Jan 29, 2002
3,287
24
69
Broke
Apr 4, 2005
#32
  • Apr 4, 2005
  • #32
stangliter04 said:
Click to expand...

Explain?
 
0

007

Founding Member
Jan 29, 2002
3,287
24
69
Broke
Apr 4, 2005
#33
  • Apr 4, 2005
  • #33
ceyko said:
Actually, I have not verified this, a dude I "know" online uses the data logging capabilities on his Predators The point is that the 4.10s will cause higher TFT by about 20 degrees...due to the RPMs. You can get the tranny cooling kits for 50-100 bux, and have peace of mind.

I understand about the driveshaft though, I just can't bring myself to pay that either right now...for the slight benefit.

I personally want a line lock for more buttons.
Click to expand...

I said I'd get a cooler if I did it. I wouldnt get a line lock.
 
C

ceyko

New Member
Oct 21, 2004
54
0
0
Apr 4, 2005
#34
  • Apr 4, 2005
  • #34
007 said:
I said I'd get a cooler if I did it. I wouldnt get a line lock.
Click to expand...

Understood. However, what I was refering to is your gears. 4.10s will make it run hotter. I might have my wires crossed, but I thought I saw 4.10s in your sig. I also hear those tranny pans with the heat fins are pretty good. Dunno though. Be easier to install.

Take care,
Ceyko
 
H

hbk_136

New Member
Feb 28, 2004
194
0
0
Southeastern GA
Apr 4, 2005
#35
  • Apr 4, 2005
  • #35
gears and cams if you can afford it, but definitely gears!
 

stangman

15 Year Member
Jul 10, 2003
2,690
10
69
in a 3 bed, 2 bath
Apr 4, 2005
#36
  • Apr 4, 2005
  • #36
stangliter04 said:
correct me if im wrong but I think stock GT and Cobra manifolds are the same... our manifold do actually flow pretty good I would leave the headders alone for now

$.02 thats mine put it into your next MOD
Click to expand...



nope not the same, & not really very good for flow.....


 

Jones331

Banned
Oct 2, 2004
142
0
0
Oakland CA
Apr 5, 2005
#37
  • Apr 5, 2005
  • #37
007 said:
Probably about 15 maybe 20 rwhp at most on an auto.
Click to expand...


and a 5 spd?...jj
 
0

007

Founding Member
Jan 29, 2002
3,287
24
69
Broke
Apr 5, 2005
#38
  • Apr 5, 2005
  • #38
Jones331 said:
and a 5 spd?...jj
Click to expand...

Thje numbers are always going to be slightly lower when modding an auto due to drivetrain loss.
The mid pipe and shortys are good for about 15rwhp. The catback isnt going to do a thing for performance.
 

NasaGT

Founding Member
Sep 19, 2002
1,993
2
49
Virginia
Apr 5, 2005
#39
  • Apr 5, 2005
  • #39
Buy Jackie Chan's TB and plenum, start saving for the stall.
 
0

007

Founding Member
Jan 29, 2002
3,287
24
69
Broke
Apr 5, 2005
#40
  • Apr 5, 2005
  • #40
NasaGT said:
Buy Jackie Chan's TB and plenum, start saving for the stall.
Click to expand...

I PM'd him. He hasnt check it yet. Its an option I guess. I wish I had more cash.
 
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
Next
First Prev 2 of 3 Next Last
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

SN95 Desktop 363 Engine Combination - Looking for input
  • WhiteCobra95
  • Sep 8, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
11
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Oct 6, 2025
Habu135
Fox GT40P Heads Exhaust Setup
  • red5.0fox
  • Mar 19, 2021
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
3K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Mar 20, 2021
rdharper02
5
94 GT 30 degrees timing at idle?
  • 5.0_Dobalina
  • May 18, 2021
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Replies
9
Views
3K
1994 - 1995 Specific Tech May 22, 2021
5.0_Dobalina
5
95 gt build
  • Texas_Made
  • Nov 10, 2018
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
  • 2 3
Replies
47
Views
6K
1994 - 1995 Specific Tech Jan 31, 2019
02 281 GT
The "Extra Engine" Post....hmmm
  • Wayne Waldrep
  • Jan 17, 2019
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
9
Views
3K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Oct 3, 2020
Wayne Waldrep
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?