Time for oil change. What oil should i really use?

laserred

Sep 7, 2004
Time for my first oil change. Went to walmart and they carry both ford motorcraft 5w20 synthetic blend and Mobil1 extended performance fully synthetic 5w20. I have ben hearing alot of info about you should not use fully synthetic like a mobil1 because of the tight tolerances and the variable valve timing in the 05 up mustang. It may mess with your timing and stuff like that because fully synthetic is too slick. They are saying to stick with motorcraft because is in designed for the car and will work better. What is really better for my car? I am not going to drag my car or drive it very hard. It is basically a show car that i just cruise around town in and a fun in it and maybe street race a couple of cars once in a blue moon.
I want the best protection possible but dont want to mess my engine up because of an oil issue? What oil do you guys use and have any of you had any promblems with fully synthetic oil like Mobil1.

• Sponsors (?)

I want the best protection possible but dont want to mess my engine up because of an oil issue? What oil do you guys use and have any of you had any promblems with fully synthetic oil like Mobil1.

If this is really your standpoint, just take it to Ford to have them change it for you and IF it messes up...it's on them.

I use the Motorcraft filter and Mobil 1 full synthetic. With just over 15K miles on her, I've had absolutely no problems.

If this is really your standpoint, just take it to Ford to have them change it for you and IF it messes up...it's on them.

I use the Motorcraft filter and Mobil 1 full synthetic. With just over 15K miles on her, I've had absolutely no problems.

+1, but i have 22,000 miles

your actually using 5w20. thats about as heavy as pure water. My first oil change is coming up soon and i just dont know if i can pour that into my motor. Maybe ive just run with turbos or s/c's to long, im just horrified at putting such a light oil into my car lol

I picked up a car and driver at the last oil change. They rated 50 different oils. Redline, Amsoil, and Mobil 1 rounded out the top 3 or 5, I can't remember. But......

#47 - Royal Purple

I'm only at 2100 miles. At 2500 I'm puttin' in a Ford Motorcraft blend that preps the car for full synthetic. Then at 5000 Mobil 1 & filter are goin' in for good. Change every 5000 miles and no problems.

BTW, my Dad's friend works for Penzoil, has for 20 years. He said to put Mobil 1 in your car if you want to drive it forever....and that's a Penzoil guy!!

I have ben hearing alot of info about you should not use fully synthetic like a mobil1 because of the tight tolerances and the variable valve timing in the 05 up mustang. It may mess with your timing and stuff like that because fully synthetic is too slick.

Did they also try to sell you muffler bearings & blinker fluid? Seriously, they have no idea what oil does. 5W20 dyno or synthetic is fine for the engine. personal experience says synthetics are great for tight tolerances modern engines.

Tom