timing belt broke! need help

stykthyn

I want to measure mine. It doesn't look that tall.
15 Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
gainesville
hey guys I had my t belt break today on the way to work. If I carnked the engine over while the belt was off will it hurt the motor? I know some of the honda's will drop all the valves once the belt comes loose. I really ddont want to rebuild this motor:bang:

• Sponsors (?)

Agreed. Won't hurt it. However, you will have to resynchronize your crank, cam, and auxillary pulleys. Not that hard to do. Set engine to TDC on compression stroke, set cam that small mark on cam sprocket lines up with center pointer on inner timing cover (what you see when you remove rubber plug from out timing cover) and set distributor rotor to #1 firing position. Install belt.

A nice trick to getting the cam aligned perfectly: Bring motor to TDC, use a piece of string and match the ends up to the center of the cam pulley bolt and the auxiliary shaft pulley bolt, then align the cam marker to trace that same line. After you have the belt installed and tightened double check this alignment, it's very easy to be off a tooth after getting everything right.

i love these cars already!!! with my 4g63 it has to be alligned perfectly. even if the belt slips off, thats going to be a motor rebuild! or at least a top end rebuild! im so glad i bought my svo despite what my dad was telling me not to!

you actually want to tear your motor down? I have three vehicles, and while it is not a priority to get this done quickly I am not looking forward to replacing that belt.

i love these cars already!!! with my 4g63 it has to be alligned perfectly. even if the belt slips off, thats going to be a motor rebuild! or at least a top end rebuild!

I can vouch for that. One of my friends had a '92 Talon TSi that blew the water pump. He had another friend help him change the pump(for those that don't know, the WP is driven from the timing belt). After getting it all back together, they found out the hard way that the cam timing was wrong. Years later it was sold to a third mutual friend and I helped him change the engine. When he pulled the head, half the valves were bent and all the pistons were gouged.

I am not looking forward to replacing that belt.

It's not a big deal if you have the right tools. It's just a matter of pulling the WP pulley, timing belt cover, belt tensioner, and crank pulley. Get the alignment right, put on the new belt and new tensioner, and put the cover and pullies back on.

I'm sure we all have our own ways of changing this belt but seeing how 65ShelbyClone gave his method I thought I'd mention that I've never removed the crank pulley or water pump pulley to change the timing belt.

I remove the serpentine belt, then the serpentine belt pulley, then I can wedge the timing cover out of there. Loosen the tensioner bolts then the timing belt can be installed with the crank pulley there if you carefully guide it through the small opening. The less you have to take off the quicker you can get it done. A timing belt is a 15 minute job after you've done a few of them.

no!! i just bought an svo. i drive a talon(which has the 4g63 i was talking about). and i like that fact that if the timimg belt breaks on the stang that it doesnt completly screw up the engine. haha, i wouldnt be happy if i had to rebuild any of my engines, and i have 4 cars.

I'm sure we all have our own ways of changing this belt but seeing how 65ShelbyClone gave his method I thought I'd mention that I've never removed the crank pulley or water pump pulley to change the timing belt.

I remove the serpentine belt, then the serpentine belt pulley, then I can wedge the timing cover out of there. Loosen the tensioner bolts then the timing belt can be installed with the crank pulley there if you carefully guide it through the small opening. The less you have to take off the quicker you can get it done. A timing belt is a 15 minute job after you've done a few of them.

you dont have to take the valve cover off to line the cam up? Chilton's has you taking apart the top half of the engine and all the drive accessories.

No reason to remove the valve cover. All your timing marks are on the timing belt pullies. I need to change the timing belt on my 88 and will probably be attempting the above mentioned trick of sliding it out between the inner timing cover and crank pulley.

if its a DIS car (91-up) you only need to align the crank and cam pulley, but check your crank sensor when you take the cam pulley off, when those belts break you can easily take out the Crank trigger. If its a 90 or lower, you dont have a crank sensor.

Dr.

when the belt on my 91 broke i didnt have to remove the crank pulley to slip the new one on, and the crank pos. sensor was fine. lucky maybe
personally, i think even if you dont know how to this is the easiest car to learn on for things like this.when i did i changed my belt on the road at 4 in the morning with just some random sockets that were in the hatch in like 30 mins:nice:
probly couldve done it quicker if i didnt accidentlly leave it in gear:nono:

man this was the biggest pain in the ass. I was seriously tempted to stop in the middle and just start my 306 swap early. After force feeding the belt between the timing cover and the crank gear which took an act of God(I promised God I wouldnt swear anymore, you can tell I already broke that one) I get everything put back together and fire it up. YEAH BABY!! I am greeted by clouds of white smoke and a squeeling that made all my body hair stand on end.(this is where I broke afforementioned promise)Turns out I have a frozen pulley on my belt tensioner. No problem I googled it simple $20 part. I hit autozone, O'reilly's without luck. I save discount auto for last cause this really hot chick works the counter at night(dead ringer for shannon elizabeth, seriously they could be twins maybe even triplets, man three of her would be so hot) and I am hoping I dont have to tell her I have a 4 banger in my really hot looking mustang:( no one has it. I can order one, but it will take a week to get here. so I start swearing again. (lightning starts booming in distance), its getting late so I go home and wake up early the next morning. I eat breakfast and then I liberally grease up my backside for what I know is coming. I get in my other car(lucky me I have 2) and head to my local NAPA. For those that dont know these guys must have been pirates in a past life. They know how to hit you and when it does it hurts(note lubed backside)They shelve obscure out of date parts knowing you will come crawling one day. Today is my day. for $48 american I waddle out to my car from the reaming my wallet just took. In hindsight I should have ordered the part from the shannon elizabeth clone and spent the other 28 dollars on beer so I could forget this whole experience. get everthing put together and tightened up and it runs like a top. Although I have found that this car will not tolerate advanced timing, what a shame. I am sure that with 4deg advanced this thing would rev so much faster and haul off the line.

Anyone know if the crank pulley needs to be removed to change the timing belt on pre-serpentine era cars??

My '79 accessories use twin V-belts, not serpentine. The crank pulley therefore differs.

I would say yes you would have to remove the crank pulley. It's not so much the pulley itself, but the belt guide behind it that is the issue. As stated above, it is pretty near impossible to snake that belt in without removing it.