Engine Timing chain cover (Mech fuel pump but no cover?)

• Sponsors (?)

Here is the cover I have. Is this a 1987 cover?

Made in 1987, but there were so many covers made that it's hard to track what cover went where.

Just in this thread alone.

E3AE-6059-AE
E5AE-6059-AA
E8AE-6059-AA

Just googling, it looks like the E3 one came on '83 and '84 Mustangs with CFI. After that, who knows what other 302's they were used on. Does it have the crank trigger mount? If so, my guess is it's an F150 timing cover.

This is the one I stuck on my engine. It's an E8AE cover with a casting date of 92 on it.

Cover.jpeg.jpg

The "A" in the third position of the engineering number prefix is "Generic Ford". It is not make/model specific. In other words, all of those EnAE-6059-xx timing chain covers were originally engineered for a generic 198n Ford. Then they were used on many models for as long as they were needed until a need arose to redesign them.

E3xx could have been superseded by a redesigned E5xx cover of they could be for two different applications. E5xx could have been superseded by a redesigned E8xx cover or they could be for two different applications.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 user
I just got an aftermarket one that has fuel pump mount open, dipstick hole that I tapped and plugged, and the CPS mount.

The latest casting is meant to be universal. So it comes with the features most common to the majority of the different timing covers offered over the years.

That way it can be used on EFI motors, carb motors, motors with front dipstick location, and the F150 which has a 4-tooth trigger wheel installed.

The Ford racing cover with all the features is part number E7PE-6059-AA. These tend to sell for about $150. There is an aftermarket copy as well that sells for cheaper