Engine Timing Chain Cover Puddle on Driver Side

Swhitney

Feb 11, 2019
Oregon City
It seems like this topic gets brought up a lot. Problem is I never hear or read anyone say they fixed the problem.

There is a small small puddle that develops between the block and the timing chain cover only on the driver side. I have verified that the hoses are indeed tight and are not leaking. Also, I made sure that the lower intake manifold and T housing is not leaking. This was a brand new timing chain cover and pump so I think I can rule these out. Is there a specific gasket paste or RTV that people are using that will ensure a tight bond between these two surfaces? If you know of a product that or a fix please share. :)

I have already torn everything apart and am simply waiting on some solid advise from the community before moving forward.

Thank you!

• Sponsors (?)

I assume you are having coolant puddling? If so my friend has the same issue with his 89 GT and he has not been able to figure out where it is coming from. I will be interested to hear what you find.

That is actually a pretty common problem, the water jacket is right there, also right above it is the water jacket for the intake but as you say you've ruled that out so I will give you my assembly instructions, apply rtv sealant to the cover, apply the gasket and place it on a flat surface with a weight like a small hammer to hold it down. After an hour or so I apply a skim coat on the exposed side of the gasket and bolt it to the block, I then take the water pump bolts with some washers or a shorter bolt and tighten them, leave it for an hour or more then install the water pump, you can (most do) install the water pump right away, let it set over night before filling with coolant and test run.
I hate leaks and take extra steps some don't do, I also apply anti seize to the shafts of the bolts near the water jackets and bolts for the water pump.

That is actually a pretty common problem, the water jacket is right there, also right above it is the water jacket for the intake but as you say you've ruled that out so I will give you my assembly instructions, apply rtv sealant to the cover, apply the gasket and place it on a flat surface with a weight like a small hammer to hold it down. After an hour or so I apply a skim coat on the exposed side of the gasket and bolt it to the block, I then take the water pump bolts with some washers or a shorter bolt and tighten them, leave it for an hour or more then install the water pump, you can (most do) install the water pump right away, let it set over night before filling with coolant and test run.
I hate leaks and take extra steps some don't do, I also apply anti seize to the shafts of the bolts near the water jackets and bolts for the water pump.

Any specific RTV sealant that you can recommend?

The front covers also can get porous and leak coolant from the pits inside
Yes seal all the bolts that go into the coolant with liquid teflon thread sealer
I use only clear silicone on anything you can see
Ford used to only sell black, clear and grey silicone but they did use natural from the factory

I had this problem. The last time i took the front parts off i took everything i could find that was discussed and did mine in typical ocd fashion. Solved the problem.
The reason i mention it is that i made a post with the steps all nice and described in detail and in order. I suck at finding stuff I've posted though so if the op or a forum wizard can find it and post the link maybe it could help some folks.
And this time I'll bookmark it myself too! :D

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
I was able to fix the driver side by following all the steps from above. Everything seemed fine until the passenger side started to puddle….

I’m not giving up just probably won’t get to it anytime soon.
Just make sure to do the surface sanding like in the link i posted. Really flat mating surfaces are important.