• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech

Timing Problem

  • Thread starter Thread starter stallion09
  • Start date Start date Nov 7, 2004
S

stallion09

New Member
Sep 20, 2004
16
0
0
Nov 7, 2004
#1
  • Nov 7, 2004
  • #1
I seem to have a problem whenever I try to advance my timing. I advanced
the timing to about 12 degrees by removing the spout connector and turning
the distributer cap until my light reads 12 degrees. I then reconnect the
spout and test drive the car. Well everything runs fine and dandy even under
full throttle bursts. Fast forward about a month and now when I give it
full throttle in 2nd or 3rd gear I get a pinging sound. This only occurs
under hard acceleration full throttle runs. THis was not happening when I
changed the timing. Everything is tight and I always use hi octane gas.


Any ideas?

 

94TURBO5 O

New Member
Mar 14, 2004
2,509
0
0
VA
Nov 7, 2004
#2
  • Nov 7, 2004
  • #2
It could be lots of things. Do a search on pinging and you'll get tons of hits.
 
S

stallion09

New Member
Sep 20, 2004
16
0
0
Nov 7, 2004
#3
  • Nov 7, 2004
  • #3
I will look, but I am wondering why it works for the first few weeks.
 

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
31,179
34
129
Nov 7, 2004
#4
  • Nov 7, 2004
  • #4
how are ambient temps compared to before? how about your motor's running temps?
any codes? FP or O2's would be something to look for. you guys seem to get pinging issues with a dirty MAF wire - checked it lately? run an oiled gauze air filter?

i would back the timing down a smidge for now. could have been a bad batch of gas too.

there is a ton more, as JR said.
good luck.
 

HoofnIt

Founding Member
Jan 8, 2001
1,175
0
36
North Carolina
Nov 7, 2004
#5
  • Nov 7, 2004
  • #5
Mine still pings, even after adding my AFRs. I use 91 octane. If it is below 70 outside, the car will not ping. I can say that the pinging is better after adding the heads but it DID not go away. I'm hoping my dyno tune will find the problem and finally put this gremlin to rest.
 

gcomfx.com

Founding Member
Oct 22, 2002
3,690
0
56
Republic, MO
Nov 7, 2004
#6
  • Nov 7, 2004
  • #6
What do your plugs look like? What are they gapped at? Try gapping them less.... worked on my nitrous ping.
 
S

stallion09

New Member
Sep 20, 2004
16
0
0
Nov 11, 2004
#7
  • Nov 11, 2004
  • #7
Frustrating,

I just checked the timing and it was set lower then I remember it. I just reset it to
12 degrees. I will driver later.....
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

F
Fox 1990 Mustang GT 5.0 A9L – Engine suddenly shuts off but immediately restarts when key turned
  • FishermansFriend
  • Aug 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
16
Views
529
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 30, 2026
General karthief
I
98 Mustang GT dying
  • ItsMason
  • May 14, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
193
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Jun 25, 2026
lenzgt
L
Hard to start when engine is cold
  • 86_Capri
  • Mar 11, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
32
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 21, 2026
CAMTWO1070
Weber Carburetor tuning help
  • SchwarzStock
  • Jul 6, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
171
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jul 19, 2026
SchwarzStock
1
Engine 91 mustang 302 Low acceleration car backfires pops and acts like it doesn’t want to take fuel
  • 1991Fox5.0
  • Oct 4, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
16
Views
1K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Oct 6, 2025
1991Fox5.0
1
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?