Tips On Buying Used Heads

My machine shop is going to charge $6-700 to rebuild my stock 289 heads. I considered buying cheap aluminum Flo-Tek heads from Speedway Motors for $369 each + $100 head bolts + rockers $200 = $1,038.00. Please I don’t want to do the china quality debate, as this is all I find when searching these heads.

My build is a low budget, semi-resto mod, and daily driver. 600CFM carb, performer intake, stock rotating assembly, performer camshaft and long tube headers. I really don’t need high HP numbers, just a fun ride w/ OK mileage. $1,038 is just too much for what I'm looking for, so I'm considering buying used GT40 heads for about $0-400?

Are the CC’s of the combustion chamber going to lower my compression enough to notice? I do not want to machine the pistons for clearance and I don’t what to buy fancy rockers, stock are Ok w. me. What should I pay for a pair of GT40 locally from craigslist or maybe eBay? I need some tips on identification but mostly what I need to know is what to look for when buying a used head.

What do I look for so I don’t buy heads that need rebuilt or are completely worn out? Thanks!!!

• Sponsors (?)

problem with used heads is you will more than likly have to atleast do a valve job
and hope you dont have to replace valves, depending on what year your currant motor is you may have to change push rods,i believe 93 was the last year for the 5.0
so most of these heads are going to have some milage on them, used heads will still
probably be the cheaper way to go,but expect them to need work as well

before you go out and buy new or used heads, check your current ones over carefully first. you might be surprised at the condition of the heads. start by filling the intake and exhaust ports with water and see if there are any leaks at the valves or the valve guides. next pull a couple of valves out of the head at random and look at the valves faces and the valve seats to determine their condition. if they are reasonably flat, then perhaps lapping the valves is all you need to do to freshen up the seal. if the seats and faces are rounded, the you need to have them ground properly.

by the way, you can save a fair amount of money by taking the heads to your local high school or jr college, and have the students rebuild the heads for you. generally all you need to pay for is any parts they replace.

These guys are telling you right. I recently replaced my E7 heads with a set of GT40s I bought used on craigslist. I paid $250 for the heads and $65 per head for a valve job. I think between $250 and $350 is where you will find most of the GT40 heads priced. Identification of the GT40 head is very simple, look for the three vertical bars stamped on the front and back, also there will be a "GT" stamp on the corner. Do not get the GT40P heads, they have spark plugs that stick straight out and have a "GT40P" stamp in the rocker valley.

GT40-BARS.JPG