Tire size and CEL/idle, need some advice =)

Benboi92GT

Dec 28, 2011
Hey guys, I'm new to the forums and I signed up because after extensive google'ing I still haven't managed to find the answers to my questions! View attachment 161617

My first question is about tire size. I know there are threads upon threads of this and I've looked at them all but still haven't managed to find an answer! I need to know what is the biggest STREET tire I can put on a 15x8 prostar and still have it fit under the 92 GT with no modifications. I'd rather not roll any fenders and sure as hell don't know how to remove the quad shocks =P I've found plenty of info on sizes for slicks and DR's but I literally drive this car every day so I need street tires =) Also: I've been to two tire places so far and have received incredibely different answers. One guy told me 145/60/15 is the largest, and another guy told me 225/50/15, wtf? What gives, lol

Second, every once in awhile while driving or in idle, my CEL will randomly (and I mean randomly) come on and if in idle it will start surging, while if Im accelerating or giving gas it will do a sort of buck/cut out until the CEL goes back off. I'm thinking bad IAC? Possible?

Thanks for the help guys, glad I finally signed up on here =P

• Sponsors (?)

See the "Surging Idle Checklist” for help with all your idle/stall problems. You can guess at the problem and throw parts at it, or you can use the checklist to help you find the problem quickly and inexpensively.

The quick and easy way to dump the codes is in there too, and all you need to do it is a paper clip! The first two posts contain all the fixes & updates. At last count there were 24 possible causes and fixes for surging idle/stall problems. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions.

See the "Surging Idle Checklist” for help with all your idle/stall problems. You can guess at the problem and throw parts at it, or you can use the checklist to help you find the problem quickly and inexpensively.

The quick and easy way to dump the codes is in there too, and all you need to do it is a paper clip! The first two posts contain all the fixes & updates. At last count there were 24 possible causes and fixes for surging idle/stall problems. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions.

Thanks, now just to figure out this tire thing =)

Did you read his post?

If the OP can't figure out how to unbolt the quad shocks, your checklist is probably just a bit beyond his technical expertise.

He did read my post, that was in response to my CEL/stalling problem. And I didn't say I couldnt figure out how to remove the quad shocks, haven't even looked at them. Just trying to see if anyone knows whats the tallest, fattest street all weather tire that will fit on a 15x8 without having to roll the fender or remove the quads. :flag:

I have 255/60 with no issues....until i lowered my car, then they drug the fender wells when i hit bumps or if i had a passenger....i took 10 mins and rolled em with a ball bat, now theyre good, but its a fairly tall tire. As for 275s, id like to have that info myself, however, i noticed AM sells their Weld tire/wheel packages with 275/50s, so mayb theres no modification needed ??

As far as it surging, the IAC, and/or TPS is not an uncommon part to need replacing...

Thanks bro, just picked up a "new" used iac today, gonna throw it on tomorrow and see what happens. Got it for cheap so not a big deal throwing that part at it. And thanks for the response on the tires. Will probably just go with the 255/60s to avoid any problems. Do you have any pics of your stang with the 255/60s? =)