Tire Size Confirmation - Advice Needed

rusty1987

May 6, 2011
Hello All -

I have an '87 GT Convertible with Chrome Cobra R Wheels (4 Lug). I have 17x9 wheels in the rear and 17x8 wheels in the front. Right now I have 255/40's all the way around. They're obnoxiously too wide on the front and they rub terribly. The 255's fit great in the rear and I'll probably continue to use the same size in that location.

My question is; I want to lower the car, would I be better off with 225/45's up front or 235/40's up front?? Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

My concern with 225s would be they are narrow for an 8" rim.
They will go on, but they could look stretched/bowed from the width difference.
Someone might chime in that has had some on their car, but IMO narrow tires forced onto wide rims look bad.
I doubt that the 225 is narrow enough to be dangerous, but if you bow them out too much, the bead can break loose in corners.

I'd shoot for 235 or 245 that is about the same diameter as the rears.

Yes, they rub pretty bad to be honest. I can't even lower the car because of them. Additionally, they bow outward on the 17x8 like they're too wide for the 8" rim. I'm thinking I may try the 235 and most likely I'll be safe.

Anyone running 235's up front please chime in and let me know they work well and clear the front fenderwell on your stang.