Tire Size Help

USCGunner

Jun 10, 2017
Idaho
I have a 91 lx convertible 5.0 no mods. Currently I have 225/60/16's. With my limited knowledge and from what I have been reading 225/55/16's are recommended. My question what is the proper size. I use the car for cruising around and going to some local cruise in's and local shows no more racing for me. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 91 lx convertible 5.0 no mods. Currently I have 225/60/16's. With my limited knowledge and from what I have been reading 225/55/16's are recommended. My question what is the proper size. I use the car for cruising around and going to some local cruise in's and local shows no more racing for me. Thanks
@USCGunner
What does the sticker either on the door jamb or in the glove box say they should be? imp

You'll be fine with that, but FYI, that changes the tire height from 25.75" to 26.62 inches. That'll throw off your speedo by about 3.5%.
@FastDriver
Your %s seem OK. Is 3.5 bad? Assume original at perfect, 3.5% at 100 mph = 96.5 or 103.5, not even an issue at all, IMO. Supposedly, law stipulates (most places), that cops speedometers be within 1% of true accuracy, I often wonder if the cop lies.......imp

Wait, what?
I got to think about that.
Taller = faster speedometer?
Let me get my gonqulator :thinking:
195/65/16 @100kph
245/65/16 @100kph (speedometer reading) =110kph actual speed
Did I do that right?
Looks like taller is slower speedometer reading or does my gonqulator need batteries?
All this technical thinking gives me a headache

I don't think it's bad. When you consider the fact that the wear from 11/32 down to 2/32 on a tire alone is 1%, 3.5 overall is not really going to be a big deal. Plus, since it's a bigger tire, the speedo will indicate you're going faster than you actually are, which means that you are less likely to get pulled over.
Ha! Moving from Colorado to Indiana, driving my '78 Fiesta, I had disconnected the speedometer cable. In Indiana, I came up slowly on a State Cop car, guessed my speed was below the limit, passed him ever-so-slowly, and the guy pulled me over! Asked if I knew I was over the limit. Told him my speedometer had broken yesterday, I was moving to Indiana, to start a new job. Besides, I told him, I figured a patrol car wouldn't be driving over the limit during non-emergency use.

He gave me a pass! imp

This is my running around summer car. I Drive a 2012 F150 Eco Boost most of the time so the difference in the mileage will not be a big deal. I want to thank everyone for the info.

I have found that on the front of the car, running anything other than 225/55-16's start causing tramming, or, pulling with road irregularities.
If your roads are perfect flat and smooth not an issue, but get on well used city streets where the pavement is slightly (and even more so if well) "wheel tracked" and it become a PITA... especially so on country roads/secondary highways.
I've noticed it not just on my car (owner for 25 years) but on friends cars over the years as well.
My dad's sucked so bad it was not enjoyable to drive... he begrudgingly swapped to 225/55-16's and the issue went away.

Food for thought.