Tire sizes for pony wheels

DemonGT

Founding Member
May 24, 2002
Sparta,WI
My stock pony wheels have been in the shed for years and was kicking around the idea of having tires put on
them and swapping out my Centerline wheels.

I would use Nitto or Toyo DR in rear
Nitto offers 245/50
Toyo offers 255/50

I would run one of these in the rear. Which would work best out back on the stock ponys?
Im currently running Nitto DR's out back and have no issues with them, i have no experience
with Toyo's DR's but id be willing to give them a try if that size would work better.

Which size would be best to run in the front for the stock ponys? just stock 225/55s?
Does anyone have a recommendation on front tires?

• Sponsors (?)

1651610778633.jpeg

That is what it looks like.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Diameter difference is 0.1" which is negligible. The wider 245 may have rubbing issues as you turn the wheel lock to lock. Mine rubbed on the inner fender at full lock. It's why the 91+ cars has steering rack limiters (which you can add) but they also ran the 225/55/16 size stock.

Reactions: 1 user
Not that it's relevant for most of you, but for the guys running ponies on an early fox or a Mustang II, 205/55/16 is a great size to go with when trying to keep the speedometer accurate compared to the tiny pizza cutters IIs and early foxes left the factory with while getting a LOT more contact patch and dramatic improvements to the looks of the car. (It's also an incredibly cheap size to get good tires in since it's a ridiculously common size.)

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
My stock pony wheels have been in the shed for years and was kicking around the idea of having tires put on

Nitto offers 245/50
Toyo offers 255/50

I would run one of these in the rear. Which would work best out back on the stock ponys?
Im currently running Nitto DR's out back and have no issues with them, i have no experience
with Toyo's DR's but id be willing to give them a try if that size would work better.

Which size would be best to run in the front for the stock ponys? just stock 225/55s?

Nitto offers 245/50
Toyo offers 255/50

I'm running my 1991 LX 5.0 Coupe with 16 inch ponys with...

BFGOODRICH® G-FORCE™ COMP-2™ 245/50ZR16 up front.​

And

NT555RII
Street/Racetrack
Size: 245/50R16
On the rear

Handles amazingly. Upfront im running 38psi is that OK or should I lower them ?

Last edited: