To Goop Or To Gasket? Attn: Turbo Guys

Boosted92LX

It's only an inch or two. What's the big deal?
15 Year Member
Dec 19, 2010
I about lost my shizzle today when for the third time I blew the doo doo out of a header gasket. I was so pissed I actually decided to sell this car.. until I cooled off, anyway. I really thought I was ready to start driving it regularly, but now I must tear 9 tons of :poo:e out to repair this stupid leak. Again. Apparently, turbos are really hard on gaskets. What amazes me is this last pair were the Percy's aluminum. I though those suckers were bullet proof. A buddy of mine theorizes that I had the headers glowing red, and melted the aluminum enough to squirt it out under pressure. I dunno. Anyway, I got to remembering a discussion on here about using silicone vs gaskets, and how it never blows out.. so I'm considering that. I want to get it right this time, this header is a mofo to pull. Thoughts? opinions? Lemme have it. I'm at a loss. :shrug:

@madmike1157 @RacEoHolic330 @84Ttop @FastDriver

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

No sir, but they are very thick gaskets, with a 3000° rating, and solid graphite. A lot more durable than the Percys.

Thank you. I'll make a note of that, man. If I don't just glue them on with silicone, I'll look into those.

Anybody want to weigh in on the silicone?

I'm of no help here... I hate header gaskets, I hate when they leak and anymore I've just let them... FWIW I am using copper header gaskets, when the headers were new they worked great. After we have banged and smashed them off the track 14,000,000 times they are so twisted up that there is no chance to seal them. I've bent, tweaked and welded them back into shape and that lasts for minutes on the track before they are screwed up. To put this into perspective, when the motor is cold; water pours from the header flanges (condensation from the alcohol) and anymore I just look at it like :shrug::shrug::shrug:

Reactions: 1 user
All I know is that I don't use header gaskets.

I've never used header gaskets.

Copper RTV. A skim coat ( enough to insure that any micro-gap is filled) allowed to skin over while the header hangs on a couple of bolts, then tighten that pig.

Don't ask me how a RTV rated to withstand 600 degrees manages to hold a header seal that gets over 1000 degrees,.......Don't ask me about the "what ifs" where you are using a silicone that is in the exhaust stream, uphill from an O2 sensor that doesn't like silicone fumes, don't ask me how long it lasts when compared to high end gaskets like what you had.......I got nothin.

With the exception of that TT'd 363, that was in the Conquest, that eventually found a home in that orange/ black meth fueled 86 that I occasionally whore a pic of, ( where RTV got used in both versions there as well) the RTV gasket solution was always used on some N/A race engine. As to the above set of concerns, neither of the two combos ran long enough to test any of the durability/ compatibility issues.

take the header gasket... throw it in the trash...

clean the header and clean the head with a RAZOR.... ive found using a scotchbrite pad on a die grinder works great BUT it takes material off the flange and then you start to blow gaskets
next clean the head with the razor also

put a bead of RTV around each port. about an 1/8" thick or so and let it tack up for a minute. then bolt it up starting in the center.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm of no help here... I hate header gaskets, I hate when they leak and anymore I've just let them... FWIW I am using copper header gaskets, when the headers were new they worked great. After we have banged and smashed them off the track 14,000,000 times they are so twisted up that there is no chance to seal them. I've bent, tweaked and welded them back into shape and that lasts for minutes on the track before they are screwed up. To put this into perspective, when the motor is cold; water pours from the header flanges (condensation from the alcohol) and anymore I just look at it like :shrug::shrug::shrug:

Yeah, I feel ya. I hate header gaskets also. Most of my cars have had that common "tick".. but this is more like, KABLOOOEY! BLAP BLAP BLAP BLAP! I never new turbo pressure could annihilate a damn gasket so fast. :banghead:

All I know is that I don't use header gaskets.

I've never used header gaskets.

Copper RTV. A skim coat ( enough to insure that any micro-gap is filled) allowed to skin over while the header hangs on a couple of bolts, then tighten that pig.

Don't ask me how a RTV rated to withstand 600 degrees manages to hold a header seal that gets over 1000 degrees,.......Don't ask me about the "what ifs" where you are using a silicone that is in the exhaust stream, uphill from an O2 sensor that doesn't like silicone fumes, don't ask me how long it lasts when compared to high end gaskets like what you had.......I got nothin.

With the exception of that TT'd 363, that was in the Conquest, that eventually found a home in that orange/ black meth fueled 86 that I occasionally whore a pic of, ( where RTV got used in both versions there as well) the RTV gasket solution was always used on some N/A race engine. As to the above set of concerns, neither of the two combos ran long enough to test any of the durability/ compatibility issues.

Ok, i know you said dont ask how, but Im asking somthing else.. did you or did you not have o2 problems? Because if no, i likey.

take the header gasket... throw it in the trash...

clean the header and clean the head with a RAZOR.... ive found using a scotchbrite pad on a die grinder works great BUT it takes material off the flange and then you start to blow gaskets
next clean the head with the razor also

put a bead of RTV around each port. about an 1/8" thick or so and let it tack up for a minute. then bolt it up starting in the center.

Excellent. Thank you.

Yeah, I feel ya. I hate header gaskets also. Most of my cars have had that common "tick".. but this is more like, KABLOOOEY! BLAP BLAP BLAP BLAP! I never new turbo pressure could annihilate a damn gasket so fast. :banghead:

Ok, i know you said dont ask how, but Im asking somthing else.. did you or did you not have o2 problems? Because if no, i likey.

I do not know Sam I Am, I do NOT like green eggs and ham.

When your headers are so bent that you could park a Buick in the gap between them and the cylinder head, quit.... Just freaking QUIT!!
That is all:O_o:

Well if you would stop dragging the bumper, and then try to drive the oil pan thru the track it might not be so bad! :rlaugh:

Reactions: 1 users
I'm obviously not boosted but I'm having luck so far with Copper RTV. Are you sure your header bolts didn't back out a little causing the gasket to sh*t itself? I got me the stage 8 locking header bolts but haven't installed them yet.

I'm obviously not boosted but I'm having luck so far with Copper RTV. Are you sure your header bolts didn't back out a little causing the gasket to sh*t itself? I got me the stage 8 locking header bolts but haven't installed them yet.

Yes, I'm sure. I have stage 8's also. I think with all this input it's settled. Silicone it is. I need to wrap my driver side header and crossover anyway. The piping creates so much heat, it melts anything within 6 inches of it. My boot on the steering rack is melting, for crying out loud.

Gotta say after reading all the "turbo" heat problems (among others) I'm definitely leaning towards a blower. (I know...off topic) back to your scheduled program :)

Reactions: 1 users