To My Fellow Emergency Service Workers......Please Be Careful Out There!

65stanger

big blue fuzzy closet monster
Founding Member
This incident occurred the other day, and we (Fire / Rescue) here on the North Fork are still stunned by it. Just goes to show we never know when we respond to an alarm if we are coming back. Sad thing is it will most likely be attributed to "driver error"......PLEASE, EVERYONE be careful!

Ambulance crash survivors grieve

BY JENNIFER SINCO KELLEHER
STAFF WRITER

May 5, 2005

As Riverhead police tried to reconstruct the ambulance accident that took the lives of two medical workers, families of the crash's survivors expressed sorrow Wednesday for those who died and thanks to those who lived.

Maryann Wowak Heilbrunn, 53, visited ambulance driver Eric Maas, 28, Wednesday. Her brother was the patient inside the ambulance.

"Two young people have lost their lives. And five minutes before that they were helping my brother live," she said through tears. "My family appreciates all these EMT workers. We couldn't survive without them."

With the ambulance sirens blaring Tuesday afternoon, Maas was driving west on Route 25 in Aquebogue when he came upon a dump truck going in the same direction and tried to pass it on the left, Riverhead Det. Sgt. Joseph Loggia said. Heidi Behr, 23, and William Stone, 30, died in the crash.

It was not known how fast Maas was driving. There were no criminal charges pending as of Wednesday, Loggia said, adding that detectives were still interviewing witnesses.

"The ambulance driver apparently was unaware the truck was making a left turn onto a driveway," Loggia said. "It appears he then took an evasive-type maneuver to avoid hitting the truck and he lost control of the ambulance." The ambulance then crashed into a tree near Church Lane.

The truck driver, whose name and employer were not released, didn't realize there was an ambulance nearby or that there was an accident, Loggia said. Police later interviewed him and he is cooperating with the investigation.

Eileen Peters, spokeswoman for the state Department of Transportation, said Route 25 at Church Lane was repaved at the end of last year, and that road conditions there are good.

The family of Joseph Wowak, the heart attack victim being transported in the back of an ambulance that crashed, was praying for his recovery Wednesday, but also expressed gratitude for those who died while helping him live.

Wowak, 63, suffered a heart attack at home in Jamesport Tuesday afternoon when Maas, Behr and Stone arrived to take him to Central Suffolk Hospital in Riverhead. Wowak Heilbrunn was following about four cars behind the ambulance in Aquebogue, she said, but didn't see it hit the tree.

"I came upon it just after it happened," she said. "It was the most horrific experience I've ever had. I could see parts of the ambulance all scattered across the road."

Wowak was transferred from Central Suffolk Hospital in Riverhead to Stony Brook University Hospital Tuesday night.

While being treated at Central Suffolk Hospital Tuesday night, Maas was told that Behr and Stone had died.

"He's devastated," his mother, Barbara Maas, 50, said.

Maas was released from the hospital late Tuesday and was resting at home in Riverhead. "He's not up to talking right now," his mother said.

Maas, Behr and Stone were good friends, bonded by a passion for helping others, Barbara Maas said. Behr would sometimes bring her 14-month-old son Jared to the Maas home.

"I feel their pain, that's for sure," Maas' mother said of the victim's families.

Maas' brother, Justin, 21, who is a volunteer Riverhead firefighter, responded to the accident. "He helped carry his brother into the ambulance," their mother said.

She doesn't know if Maas, who is expecting the birth of his first child, will be able to resume his emergency responder work after the tragedy. "If he does, it will be a while," she said. "He's still in shock."

Staff writer Mitchell Freedman contributed to this story.
Copyright 2005 Newsday Inc.

• Sponsors (?)

Jeeze, Fritz... that wasn't your house, was it? :nonono:

I can remember one night 20-odd years ago when I was going to pick up Sue (Mrs StDr) at Tucson Medical Center (don't remember why I had the Tempo instead of my F100); and had to pull over for an ambulance going Code 3 for the TMC ER porch. Just got back off the side of the road and was almost blown back off the road by some tool (and I'm being generous) blazing along down the road. I thought maybe it was the vic's family chasing the bus to the ER; but I was wrong. This nimrod (going about 80 down Grant Road) actually tried to PASS THE FREAKIN' BUS JUST AS IT WAS TURNING LEFT INTO THE ER ENTRANCE! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Patient had another MI (not very surprising) when the bus dumped over on its side; injuries all around for the crew. Driver had a broken clavicle, one medic compounded his right femur, other GIB broke ribs and punctured his liver. Idiot in the car was treated for a broken nose and cuffed (DUI) in the ER. His BA came back as a .21 :rolleyes:

What was wrong with the dump truck guy that he couldn't see/hear the bus behind him? :scratch:
And do me a favor - keep a spare pair of glasses handy for those eyes in the back of your head!

Dang, something similar happened today here in SoCal. I guess a couple cars failed to yield to a fire engine(w/full lights & sirens) going through an intersection and got t-boned. One car tipped up on its side and whole mess plowed over(and I mean over) a rather large tree. Firemen had minor to severe injuries and one civilian was killed out of a total 8 casualties.

It always hits a nerve with me when fire/EMT/police get injured in the line of duty. I wanted to be a firefighter for a while and in the Pines Fire last year, they did a damn good job of making sure my house didnt burn down.

i saw the aftermath of a wreck where 2 ambulances responding to the same call ran into each other. pretty ugly, one of them drove (or got driven by the other) up a light pole. luckily, nobody was seriously hurt. it was kind of a freak thing really, both were travelling westbound to the same "Y" intersection but were on different sides of the "Y" everyone else was stopping for the ambulances but neither one saw the other.

ya know, every time i'm running code to something; be it a wreck, debris in the road, a shooting, a robbery etc., it seems as tho every IDIOT out there wants to go LEFT instead of to the right where they are supposed to go. its not like i dont have flashing red and blue or a loud siren or something...

stuff like that pisses me off.

the back of an ambulance seems like a bad place to be in a wreck.

to many corners (although padded), and no usable restraints.

I was starting an IV on a lady who was trying to die, and we were going about 80 on the freeway and I heard the driver say "HOLD ON"
I about crapped myself. I looked through the windshield and someone had lost a christmas tree out of the back of thier truck and it was sitting in the middle of the fastlane.

this was about a month ago.

hungrymonkey said:
the back of an ambulance seems like a bad place to be in a wreck.

to many corners (although padded), and no usable restraints.

I was starting an IV on a lady who was trying to die, and we were going about 80 on the freeway and I heard the driver say "HOLD ON"
I about crapped myself. I looked through the windshield and someone had lost a christmas tree out of the back of thier truck and it was sitting in the middle of the fastlane.

this was about a month ago.
That's why when we spec'ed out for our new ambulance last year, we wanted an "Excellence". Their box is an all welded aluminum structure.....they showed us what had happened when one of theirs had a head on with a semi (combined speed between 60 and 70 mph)....:eek:
The chassis was totalled, driver had a fractured femur, to EMTs in the back had scrapes and bruises no additional injuries to the patient. They were able to take the undamaged box, and after thorough inspection, mount it on a new chassis. But the Excellence cost $15,000 more than the District was willing to spend, so we got a Wheeled Coach instead. :(

We've been after everyone to buckle up in the back, but as anyone who has ever ridden knows, it is next to impossible to take care of the patient belted into your seat. :shrug:

**EDIT** For anyone who hasn't seen the pics of the wreck in the story above......the entire passenger side of the box was ripped away and all of the contents were strewn all over the roadway.

we have life line. or something like that.

there is a guy on this forum fireman255. He is a paid guy at the station I volunteer at. He would know better than I.

65stanger said:
But the Excellence cost $15,000 more than the District was willing to spend, so we got a Wheeled Coach instead. :(

Oh, ow. :nonono: I used to do radio work for our commercial Fire/Ambulance service (good ol' Rural/Metro); all they ever use are Wheeled Coach's. What a PITA to work on... Also did some work "upriver" for Parker Ambulance Service - they were hung up on Frontline's. Pretty stout and not bad to work on, but seemed awfully "rattle-y" fresh off the truck.

Laptop battery's about to die; and it's time to go home from work anyway.
Later.

I went to the firematic service last night for the young woman. They had the road the funeral home is on closed off good thing too.....in spite of a steady cold rain there must've been close to a thousand blue uniforms from all over, some as far away as NYC (~80+ miles).....We (my Dept) stood in the rain for two hours before we got inside to pay our respects.........
The other medic's service was last night too, up island in Stony Brook, I'm sure they had as big of a turn out there as in Riverhead. :( :( :(

aftermath..........

Here is a photo of the ambulance Tuesday afternoon. The were heading in the direction of the camera and hit the tree on the left.
attachment.php

Why must everyone refer to us as "ambulance drivers"? Our dept. has rolled 2 wheeled coach freightliners and while the exterior has held together, the contents of the box end up all over the floor. Also the pt and stretcher ended up in the linen cabinet.
Maybe they'll get the driver of the other vehicle for failure to yield to an emergency vehicle.

Steve
PARAMEDIC

FallujahMedic said:
Why must everyone refer to us as "ambulance drivers"? Our dept. has rolled 2 wheeled coach freightliners and while the exterior has held together, the contents of the box end up all over the floor. Also the pt and stretcher ended up in the linen cabinet.
Maybe they'll get the driver of the other vehicle for failure to yield to an emergency vehicle.

Steve
PARAMEDIC
Not a chance, he never heard or saw them, they crested a hill behind him that's on a curve as he was making a wide left turn.