To those who responded to my Beginner's Mod post..

dkhl

Aug 22, 2004
Thank you. I simply couldn't have put it better myself, all the comments, criticisms and what not.

I've revised the list, my main goal is to mainly go for more practical / performance than fun mods. Like I said.. before I am putting alarm/tint on the very top, they serve their own purposes.. I refuse to change them :p.. other than that.. here is the revised list.

I didnt' include your obvious engine mods, as I don't think I have time to put them together, and the 2nd reason is when I mod the engine, I will be taking out the entire block and doing it from scratch.

My revised list goes like this:
1. Alarm
2. Tint
3. Subframes - Like I said I want a super stiff chassis first and foremost, it protects my chassis from warping not to mention it stifens the body.
4. Shifter - This has gone ahead of gearing because I really dislike the long throw shifter of the stock 5.0.
5. Exhaust - This mod serves double duty, entertains me with a sick sound and allows increase flow and performance.
6. Gears - Obvious choice, this is going to be .. a weekend driver.. so the deep 4.56 gears i originally wanted maybe a bit steep.. so I'll stick with 4.10
7. Springs - to further enhance suspension and look too!
8. CAI - I prefer a nice K&N Filter .. looks nice, gives some performance but yeah i know it might not be worth the price.
9. CD Deck - I need music, no question about it.
10. Ignition Upgrade - I've rethought the alternator/pulley thing, and decide to do spark plugs, spark wires, starter
11. Clutch - Not really a performance upgrade.. but I know the 5.0L I have will have a crap clutch.

• Sponsors (?)

I understand why you would want to get an alarm, but if a thief wants to steal your car, then you need something more than an alarm. Anyone that has a wiring diagram of your car can hotwire it in under a minute. But if it serves to keep people from stealing your stereo, then I understand completely.

I would make a manual disabling switch. Simply splice the positive wire that goes to your fuel pump (somewhere under the car as it goes to the fuel pump, not at the wiring harness), and make a manual switch. Hide the switch somewhere that you can't see. A thief will not want to spend time trying to find the switch, nor will they want to get under the car and try to reconnect the fuel pump wires (if they even figure out what has been disabled).

Anyway, you should get your stereo system before the tint and everything else. It is something that makes driving so much more fun. At least install a aftermarket CD player in place of the stock one. Mine is a MP3 player, so I have 140+ songs at my disposal on just one CD.

After that, it's your choice. Just my opinions on the matter.
Scott

I think alarms are pointless... No one pays attention to them and if you cant hear it your SOL. If you're worried about them stealing it, then I'd rig up some kind of fuel pump cut off switch and hide it somewhere so if someone ever did try to steal your car, it'd die shortly after it started.

much better list. You still dont need a clutch unless your stock one goes out on you. If you do heads/ cam/ Intake then go ahead and do your clutch but w/ only exhaust, pullies, and CIA you wont be in danger of being over the limit of yoru stock clutch. Just trying to save you from spending money where it is not needed. My stock clutch dident give out until I had a blower on. It held up to Full exhuast, Bigger mass air, and a 94/95 Cobra intake just fine, If I had done the heads and cam then it may have been to much for it but until you get into the more serious stuff then you will be fine w/ the stock one. Mine had 118,000 miles on it and it was ok.

i agree, putting in a new clutch only wears out the new clutch faster. Use the stock one til it's toast... if it lasts 6 months, then that's 6 months longer your new clutch will last. Plus, if this is your first time moving out. You really should wait 6 months to start the modding... bills you never dreamed up will sneak up and just appear in your mailbox. :bang: