Too Loud!! Change Out O/r X Or Mufflers?

Tyler33

Jul 15, 2016
Hey I just bought a 2001 GT auto last night. It has BBK O/R X and American Thunder exhaust. I want to tone it down a little bit so I don't get too much unwanted attention - would I be better off going to a catted mid pipe or trading out the 40 series mufflers? I don't mind the Flowmaster sound but the drone on the highway sucks with this setup. There is no emissions testing in my state. Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

Ok I got to hear the car driven by my wife and it's not that bad outside. I don't like the tinny sound it makes under load but overall it sounds good. I think I just need to get some dynamat or something to make it quieter inside.

I have 40 series flowmasters and stock catted H pipe, all stock aside from flowmasters, and it sounds good BUT it's NOT loud enough! When I put in 410's it will wake it up a bit! By getting through the rpm's quicker. But I hope that long tube headers and off road x pipe makes it almost twice as loud?

Also switch to an off-road H pipe instead of x will make it quiter and deeper, and get rid of that "tinny" sound

I noticed my exhaust tips don't clear the bumper so I'm thinking I get a lot of sound inside the car from that. I'm getting new tips put on today so we will see if that helps. I watched a video where they had the same exhaust setup and it was quieter inside the car. If this doesn't help I will probably look into soundproofing.

I'm happy with the new tips. Quieter inside the car and the sound is cleaner and a little mellower. They are 3.5" x 16" rolled edge. Still have a small rattle I need to track down.