Too many miles to start modding?

Muscle99

Mar 31, 2007
I just purchased my first GT. Also have a 98 3.8 with a few mods. The GT is a 99 with 64k miles on it. The car is completely stock not even a k&n. Im wanting to start some light mods. Whats your guys opinions on when its too late to start getting some extra power out of your motor with some mileage on the odo.

• Sponsors (?)

I wouldn't supercharge it with 8psi, but all the other mods won't hurt it. I am leary of cams, as I don't trust the 4.6 valve springs. Damn, its 12:15am and I am getting hungry for Taco Bell. Weird thing is, I don't smoke the green and I'm wanting to hit up a fourth meal at midnight. What's up with that?

your getting old = getting fat

Remember these are the same motors used in Police Interceptors.

If you look in the classifieds they are for sale way above 100k miles all the way to 200kish. The are decent motors and trust me, 99% of those cops dont drive around grandma style, they frequently beat on them and throw them into park going 5 mph...

I just purchased my first GT. Also have a 98 3.8 with a few mods. The GT is a 99 with 64k miles on it. The car is completely stock not even a k&n. Im wanting to start some light mods. Whats your guys opinions on when its too late to start getting some extra power out of your motor with some mileage on the odo.

Definitely not too late to mod it. But before you start, bring the car's maintenance up to date. Imho, it doesn't make much sense to mod a car when it needs an oil change, coolant flush and refill, fuel filter change, etc.

Have fun modding it, and if you need advice on how to spend your money, let us know.:D :nice:

I wouldn't supercharge it with 8psi, but all the other mods won't hurt it. I am leary of cams, as I don't trust the 4.6 valve springs.

Why? There is no reason not to mod it unless the car isn't running right. Check the cylinders for proper compression? I'd say you are all good to go, and I would recommend getting the kit from MPH. My car is pushing 66k miles (20 or so that have been blown) and still going strong :flag:

Definitely not too late to mod it. But before you start, bring the car's maintenance up to date. Imho, it doesn't make much sense to mod a car when it needs an oil change, coolant flush and refill, fuel filter change, etc.

Have fun modding it, and if you need advice on how to spend your money, let us know.:D :nice:

Thank you and thats what im doing. Gettin everything caught up to date. Got a tune up on thursday with the family mech (dont feel like messin with plugs). I remember back when i had my V6 years ago i was always too afraid to come over to stangnet in fear of getting flamed with my 3.8 lol. So i stuck to the v6 boards. Once i finally got my GT this was the first and prb only place i signed up at. Heard a lot of good stuff back in the day and so far its all true.:nice:

64 k? man thats nothing. I got a 96 GT with 185 k on the clock, and im installing a set of 4.10 gears within the next month. ( after i fix my rear end, my rear diff is pretty bad and i need new axle seals ) but other then that, hell no its never too late to mod.