Too many mods... Not enough results?

screaminr1

Dec 25, 2003
Austin
Ok, here begins the meltdown. I have installed 390 gears,prochamber exhaust with 2 chamber flows(no cats),long tube headers,accufab plenum and 75mm throttle body,intake spacer,throttle body spacer,cold air intake,pro 5.0 shifter,18" saleens with 305 nitto dr out back,steeda clutch cable and qaudrant,and I won't start on the cosmetic mods. Point? :shrug: I went to the track for the first time and on the motor I ran a 14.5 flat at 95mph. :bang: I also have 100 shot wet kit and ran 13.46 at 105mph. :notnice: This is horrible. Off the bottle I am being beat by stock mustangs. I know you might say it's the driver but I had a .056 reaction time on the motor and .068 on the nitrous. I am told this is very good. The only thing I know left to do is add a pro m 85mm mass air flow sensor, which will be here on Thursday. I will let you know but in the mean while, besides needing a tuning what the @!$&* is the problem? Why am I out thousands of dollars and slower? :lol:

• Sponsors (?)

was this was your first time at the track? if thats the case you just need lots of practice, your not gonna make your best runs first time out. There's alot of things that can factor in, your elevation, humidity, etc

My car is an 01 and I am on the drag radials. Much better than regular street tires. Yes, this was my first time out but I have raced many, many cars on the street and stock stangs tend to pull me from a 20 punch.

I know a tune will help and believe me it's next but shouldn't I still be pulling harder than stock stangs? Even if I am having traction issues, which it doesn't seem to bad, from a 20mph punch on a stock stang, I should rape it... right?
Re: I agree something is wrong but I don't think it's mechanical. I mean the car seems to run fine but I am at a loss.

I take it you went to SAR for 1/4 mile? Sounds to me like you're running about a second slow on N/A. Try replacing the old plenum and 56mm throttle body. I've heard that sometimes people who use the 75 mm throttle body lose power without internal engine mods. If you go back out to the track, then you can get a better baseline, minus exhaust. I also agree that your springs don't help.

Well to be honest. You dont have much all motor mods. Gears, Headers, TB and a plenum. That isnt much but you should be pulling stock cars. I think there may be something wrong with the car. Have you had any SES codes pop up? Now you dont have a very good setup for the drag strip with all that suspension work but on the street, you should have no problem with stock stangs.

Are you spinning your tires on shifts?

The springs aren't the best for weight transfer, and running bling bling rims at the track is just shooting yourself in the foot.

Get the 60's down, and powershift.

Adjust those Tokicos ALL the way soft at the rear for 1/4 mile runs.

Get that thing on a dyno dude! All that money and you've never had it analyzed? You could have been going the wrong way with one or more of those bolt-ons and you wouldn't even know it!

Spend a little of that money wisely, and I'm thinking you've already got yourself a 13 sec. car...on the motor!