Too Much Fuel Stabilizer - Please Advise

mustangstein

Jan 5, 2018
Hello everybody,

I own a 2013 Mustang Premium GT convertible and recently put it into storage (heated). This is the first year I decided to put fuel stabilizer in the tank, the years before I never did it.

I do not know what I was thinking when I put it in there ... Long Story short -> I added way to much into the tank (roughly 3,5-4 times more :-() into an almost full gas tank, then drove roughly 8-10 miles to the storage.

The car has not been moved since then, this is where you guys come into play, if you would answer some of my questions please ;-)

- In general, is it a Problem to have that much fuel stabilizer in the tank?
- Should I pump the gas completely out before starting it up?
- If not, should I completely drive it empty after I got it out of storage and then refill it to have a lot of the stabilizer out, or should I refill a little bit every 50-100 miles to have it "watered down"?

Thank you guys very much for your help on this, I really do not know what to do

• Sponsors (?)

Sta-bil used to have a sentence in their directions that said "over-treatment is not harmful". I usually just dump a full bottle of the green Sta-bil into my Mustang's 11-gallon fuel cell when I fill it up, and even with the aftermarket EFI, I have had no issues. (16oz when 4.25oz would be plenty).

I don't know if something about more modern cars is different, or if they have changed their formulation, but that sentence is no longer in the directions. If you filled the tank full when you did it though, I wouldn't worry about it. Most fuel injector cleaners are in 16-oz bottles as well, and they're far more "potent" than Sta-Bil from a chemical perspective.

Hello guys - thank you for your replies on this.

@Red_LX - I used the full Container, I believe it was good for 40 gallons, for the 16 gallons gas tank (I would call it 80%-90% full)

@74stang2togo - I believe it was Sta-Bil, but of Course I do not have the receipt or taken a Picture

So I will not be concerned....... :)

Thank you and regards!