too much head

BK_CAULEY

it's built for speed not longevity, woman
Dec 26, 2006
Thomasville, ga
hey guys as some of you know im building a 351 for my car and i am having trouble with head selection. i have a performer rpm 2 intake setup and i want some edelbrock heads. i am planning on a new supercharger set-up (old one got ebayed for swap $) and its gonna be a while before i can get a new SC. i want some really good heads that will flow alot for the SC application but i have a stock fuel sytem and dont want to up grade it because the supercharger comes with it, but at the same time i dont want to have to much air flowing and not enough fuel. i have seen some cars with bad ass heads and intakes but get out run because they have stock fuel system. so i guess my questions are 1.) what is the best head to use on a stock fuel sytem with my current intake? 2.) if i have edelbrock performer rpm 2 intake and performer rpm heads with a stock fuel sytem will i see noticable power N/A. 3.) and will this setup still be good for a SC with an upgraded fuel sytem.

• Sponsors (?)

heads

and they want give me any issue's with my stock fuel system? i know they would be good for the SC aplication. but as mentioned above i dont want to be out of balance while im still NA

TOO much head for stock fuel system!! The statment is totally wrong!! it should be stock fuel system what heads!! Guys.. this isnt rocket science here.. the 5.0 is a SMOG motor!! It runs lean and hot!! more power jack the fuel /change the t-stat, and fail the smog test!!

There are a LOT of 12 sec cars on a stock system ( variable fuel pressure reg) PORTED E7s, or GT40s.. B cam and ect ect... IF you think you can sneak by on a stock f/reg and stock pressures... aint happening!!

Cobra intake... ported E7s or GT40's ...FMS or TFS camshaft.. adjustable F/reg..and your rocking.. 12s are there when the driving and traction comes around... cool??

Just me........................................

Thumper

heads

thats what i am fearing. whats the biggest injectors/pump/mass air/throttle body i can go with on a naturally aspirated setup? because i can buy the SC as a tuner kit and they will take off the fuel sytem. there system comes with 42# injectors matching mass air and a 255lph pump can i run those on a naturally aspirated motor? i dont think i can. but as far as choking the 351 if i used the intake setup i mentioned before and the edelbrock vic jr. heads will it cause me to lose power over the stock heads? or can i use my intake and those heads and be ok with the stock fuel sytem until i get the supercharger and its fuel system?

TOO much head for stock fuel system!! The statment is totally wrong!! it should be stock fuel system what heads!! Guys.. this isnt rocket science here.. the 5.0 is a SMOG motor!! It runs lean and hot!! more power jack the fuel /change the t-stat, and fail the smog test!!

Thumper

I like this point. Your vic jr's will work with your stock fuel system but you will have to tune it for it. This mean upgrading a few things on it. Basically with that fuel system you will not be able to take advantage of what those heads can offer you.

heads

first off thanks for the advice guys and i know i wont be able to take full advantage of them but i dont want to have vic jr heads a peformer rpm 2 intake and get out-run by someone with a stock 5.0 so i guess i can run a good flowing head and intake setup and not have to worry about it actually losing power over the stock set-up?

i highly doubt you will be out run by a stock 302 with those heads and intake. Your factorry stuff is restrictive. Even with stock fuel system better flowing heads and intake wil increase your hp and torque. BTW were you thinking of installing these parts first on a 302 and then swapping over to the 351w? or is the 351w already in the car?

on stands

the 351 is already in the car. i just pulled a stock 302 with iron gt-40's and traded it for a transmission rebuild. and when you mentioned some tuning where you refering to fuel pressure and timing? what pressure and timing would yall recomend?

Currentally i have vic jr's on my 351w. I have a dual plane intake which flows less then the heads want. My car is very strong on the street but not what it could be if i had the proper vic jr intake for it. When i say a tune i mean yes adjustable fuel pressure regulator. I mean talking to a chip burner and giving them the details of your car and have a chip burnt for it. There is no doubt that the super charged version is going to need a better fuel system so why not upgrade the fuel pump and regulator now. Get a AFR (air fuel ratio) scan or even a gauge installed in the car so you can tune the fuel psi yourself. Why not go out and get the injectors off of a newer 5.0L explorer i believe they are 24lb and install them for the time being. You can always sell them later. btw what cam are you going to run while it is N/A? how long till the s/c'er gets bought and installed?

heads

Roland69-yea it was ment to get attention.

86bLuecobra- if i get 24# injectors im gonna need my mass air to match them right? and i am running an e cam right now. and its gonna be a while maybe a year before the supercharger gets put on. but as far as fuel goes should i go ahead and upgrade to a 255lph so when i get the supercharger i will already have it?

yes i would upgrade the supporting hardware like fuel pump before you get the s/c. yes i believe the MASS needs to be calibrated to the 24lb injectors. OK this just brought to my attention another flaw in what you are doing. Are you using the factory TB and Mass Air Flow sensor from your 5.0L? If so these flow barely enough for a 302. With your added cubes i think you should look into upgrading them aswell. lol now look at how this has spiraled out of control. Upgrade the fuel pump and fuel regulator. Get the vic jr heads. probably a good idea if you are going to run the performer rpm II intake to gasket match it to the vic jr heads. Get the engine running and see where you are at.

ok now what?

okay saying i get some more injectors how can i have a mass air matched to them? who can do that? and no im not using the factory throttle body (but good catch) i have a 70mm bbk. and what is gasket matching to the heads?

as far as gasket matching goes this is what it is. The ports on the vic jr's will be quite a bit bigger then the intake you have. So basically what happens is you grind the ports on the intake to match the opening on the heads. Just the exit of the intake is matched so that there is a smooth transfer of a/f mixture from the intake to the heads. less turbulence. as far as calibrating the MASS i am not sure my friend. hopefully hisson chimes in to answer that question.

I hate to be the one to tell you but regaurdless of what head you put on your 351 you are going to kill it in n/a form running the stock MAF and fuel system, possibly cause a severe lean condition, maybe even burnt or scoured pistons, after all doesnt everyone modify these items on a 302 because they are not large enough, buy the heads and install them with the SC not before. as far as the heads go why not buy the AFR 185 for a few dollars more, which are better than any thing short of the victor head offered by edelbrock. but thats just my opinion.