Too much slack in clutch cable, what happened????

GToddyT5

Founding Member
Jan 14, 2002
Hamilton, NJ
I had adjusted my cable earlier in the day (firewall adjuster) to make it a little softer. So later in the day I'm drivin through a parking lot and I push the disengage the clutch and the cable pops off of the back of the quadrant. Now there is too much slack in the cable. The firewall adjuster is backed out as far as it can go and there is still way too much. The cable won't stay hooked into the quadrant. What could've happened? Could this be something with the clutch fork? Did something bend? Can the cable stretch? I'm clueless and I can't get this thing moved.

• Sponsors (?)

Had the same problem with the adj. clutch cable. It finally broke on me. Got a friend with a 9 sec. (YES, 9 seconds) stang running the stock cable. I put mine back to stock and everything is good. I noticed the adj. made the clutch real stiff, and it caught too close to the floor no matter how much i adjusted it. It just sucked all around. Go back to stock. You will thank me :)

It may have stretched but at this point I would at least get under the car and see if you have any adjustability left at the fork. You may be able to take up the slack. If not then get a new cable from Ford. Most of the time, if you order a "stock" cable from an aftermarket company, they'll send you a "stock-type" cable made in China. Ford is expensive but well worth it.