• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SVT Tech Forum

Took my head to the machine shop *Video+pics*

  • Thread starter Thread starter marine12001
  • Start date Start date Jun 16, 2011

marine12001

New Member
Jun 7, 2011
9
0
1
Jun 16, 2011
#1
  • Jun 16, 2011
  • #1
I was blowing smoke with no milky oil and everything pointing to a head gasket.When I got to the shop I poured some water into all the valves and
low and behold one exhaust valve was leaking...its hard to tell on these new
gaskets but the compression test confirmed bad 2-3 cylinder compression and the leak down test was fine.

I snapped a few shots of milling the block and a video of seating the valve springs and retainer pins. **I have a buddy who lends me his shop if I help
with a few heads while im there..**EVEN TRADE**

The first picture I found that the cylinder on the left had been repaired at some point. I did a 3 angle cut and seated the valves back in. compression checked out fine except for the one exhaust valve.

View attachment 186133

This picture is after the cut putting the exhaust valves back in.

View attachment 186134

Videos of putting valve springs and retainers back on.

YouTube - ‪aalotaibi's Channel‬‏

YouTube - ‪aalotaibi's Channel‬‏

YouTube - ‪aalotaibi's Channel‬‏
 
0

03Stangr

New Member
Oct 14, 2007
98
0
0
Jul 3, 2011
#2
  • Jul 3, 2011
  • #2
marine12001 said:
I was blowing smoke with no milky oil and everything pointing to a head gasket.When I got to the shop I poured some water into all the valves and
low and behold one exhaust valve was leaking...its hard to tell on these new
gaskets but the compression test confirmed bad 2-3 cylinder compression and the leak down test was fine.

I snapped a few shots of milling the block and a video of seating the valve springs and retainer pins. **I have a buddy who lends me his shop if I help
with a few heads while im there..**EVEN TRADE**

The first picture I found that the cylinder on the left had been repaired at some point. I did a 3 angle cut and seated the valves back in. compression checked out fine except for the one exhaust valve.

View attachment 184872

This picture is after the cut putting the exhaust valves back in.

View attachment 184873

Videos of putting valve springs and retainers back on.

YouTube - ‪aalotaibi's Channel‬‏

YouTube - ‪aalotaibi's Channel‬‏

YouTube - ‪aalotaibi's Channel‬‏
Click to expand...

Nice examples of the process, good time to clean those valves and pistons up too ! or even get some new ones and some forged internals. You're lucky to have access to a cool shop. I miss my Dad and his shop. He made it through WWII, but not through all the smoking and exhaust fumes. That was before all the shops had those tubes that are hooked up to the exhaust pipes and vented outside, bummer. - Peace !
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

H
Ongoing Battle With Hydraulic Lifters
  • hailer06
  • Jun 8, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
440
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 9, 2026
Noobz347
Engine Random Misfire at idle.
  • Gulftown980x
  • Jul 29, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
11
Views
448
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jul 31, 2026
squeak93
S
5.0 Rebuild
  • smittys7up
  • Nov 29, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
14
Views
930
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 16, 2026
keel
Forced Induction Bypass valve backwards?
  • Dontknowchit
  • Jun 25, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
3
Views
392
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jun 29, 2025
JD1964
6
Hey all,I’m putting together a 302 for my 1968 Mustang and wanted to post the combo + some questions to make sure I’m not missing crucial
  • 68_Disgustang
  • Feb 22, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
1K
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jun 20, 2026
gray owl
G
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SVT Tech Forum
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?