• Off-Topic Hangout

Tool Review Time

  • Thread starter Thread starter NIKwoaC
  • Start date Start date May 8, 2018
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • …
  • 21
Next
First Prev 3 of 21 Next Last

2000xp8

SN Certified Technician
Aug 8, 2003
8,060
1,644
194
NJ
Sep 29, 2018
#41
  • Sep 29, 2018
  • #41
Mike,
If you like those, you would love the ideal carbide hole saw kit.
As an electrical contractor, I have a tons of knockout kits, but once I switched to carbide hole saws from ideal, I never touched a knockout kit again.
They are so sharp you can cut the entire hole saw hole before a unibit (stepped bit to some) makes the pilot hole for a knockout.

https://www.emisupply.com/catalog/i...search-us-en&utm_term=IDL-36-311#.W6_aAkxFw2w

You can find them in various kits and prices, I have 1/2-3 inch (I used the link just as a sample).
Just remember, they come based on electrician sizes (which that knockout kit you listed probably does too).
Doesn't mean they won't have the size you need, just means some kits list them for the size of the fittings, not the actual size.
 
R

Rcdgl

5 Year Member
Feb 19, 2018
316
168
63
Sep 30, 2018
#42
  • Sep 30, 2018
  • #42
Yep, got the Motive tool several years ago now. It took the motive, a mity vac and a neighbor to get the brakes bled on my cruiser several years ago.

Highly recommended. Much better to buy it than try to rig up a substitute.
 
R

Rcdgl

5 Year Member
Feb 19, 2018
316
168
63
Sep 30, 2018
#43
  • Sep 30, 2018
  • #43
Yep, got the Motive tool several years ago. Works great and well worth the price. Made bleeding after a complete brake change much easier.
 
V

Vettn71

Advanced Member
Jan 3, 2014
273
154
74
Oct 7, 2018
#44
  • Oct 7, 2018
  • #44
Just got to this. Which Motive did you get? There’s a dozen of them. I’ve got a 96 Mustang and it has a three-tab cap

TIA

Jim
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,343
18,074
224
Massachusetts
Oct 7, 2018
#45
  • Oct 7, 2018
  • #45
I'm actually not a fan of the motive tool. Works ok for a basic brake bleed, but not if you replace a caliper. I had issues getting air out.

Best method I've used? Crack the bleeder, go pump the pedal a few times, add fluid and repeat. Close bleeder whendone. I've done this on multiple cars with great success.

My motive bleeder kit is gathering dust
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,343
18,074
224
Massachusetts
Oct 7, 2018
#46
  • Oct 7, 2018
  • #46
I don't know what it is with me and wheel bearings but every car I've owned seems to eat then.

Bearing #2 on the DD. Used the HUb shocker and it came off on the 2nd hit. Less than 1hr start to finish. I love this tool



 
Reactions: Adieu
V

Vettn71

Advanced Member
Jan 3, 2014
273
154
74
Oct 7, 2018
#47
  • Oct 7, 2018
  • #47
LOL! It looks good for getting air out of the master cylinder. We’re just completing a ModFox for my son (84 coupe with 96 wiring and running gear).
Any good on that? It’s got ABS.

Jim
 

2000xp8

SN Certified Technician
Aug 8, 2003
8,060
1,644
194
NJ
Oct 8, 2018
#48
  • Oct 8, 2018
  • #48
Mustang5L5 said:
I'm actually not a fan of the motive tool. Works ok for a basic brake bleed, but not if you replace a caliper. I had issues getting air out.

Best method I've used? Crack the bleeder, go pump the pedal a few times, add fluid and repeat. Close bleeder whendone. I've done this on multiple cars with great success.

My motive bleeder kit is gathering dust
Click to expand...

In the past, I've cracked the bleeder partially, went and ate lunch, came back and closed it, all done...
With that said, I have not used that method on my mustang.

Never seen or even heard of that bearing tool.
You just smack it on the top and basically tear the bearing out?
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,343
18,074
224
Massachusetts
Oct 8, 2018
#49
  • Oct 8, 2018
  • #49
2000xp8 said:
Never seen or even heard of that bearing tool.
You just smack it on the top and basically tear the bearing out?
Click to expand...

Yeah, although less tearing and more one big shock to break the bond as these bearings usually seize into the knuckle up here in the salt belt.

Before I'd spend hours with slide hammers and heat and other tricks. I've resorted to removing the entire knuckle before and pressing them out.

With this tool, bolt it on and give it a few god hits and it breaks the corrosion holding it in place. Couple light taps in the bearing around the outside works it out.

I think I spent all of 5 mins getting the bearing out. Entire job took less than 1hr
 

02 281 GT

Agreed...My wife has great Boobs
15 Year Member
Feb 3, 2009
3,208
1,973
194
Cabot, AR
Oct 8, 2018
#50
  • Oct 8, 2018
  • #50
I would just hammer the bearing from behind when I dealt with bearings like that. I had to change a few when I was stationed in Germany. Almost all of Europe is a rust belt.
 

RaggedGT

Been here over a DECADE and still no CT
Mod Dude
Jul 20, 2014
4,756
3,212
203
Taylorsville ky
Oct 8, 2018
#51
  • Oct 8, 2018
  • #51
Air Hammer FTW lol
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,343
18,074
224
Massachusetts
Oct 8, 2018
#52
  • Oct 8, 2018
  • #52
RaggedGT said:
Air Hammer FTW lol
Click to expand...

Have one. Doesn't have the mustardz

I need to buy that rivet hammer that the guy from South Main Auto YouTube channel uses

02 281 GT said:
I would just hammer the bearing from behind when I dealt with bearings like that. I had to change a few when I was stationed in Germany. Almost all of Europe is a rust belt.
Click to expand...

I've done them that way too by backing the bolts out and hitting the bolts: however, how much room you have to swing can vary. I used to have to pull the knuckle off to do this especially if there was a CV axle.

I've done maybe a dozen wheel bearings so far. I've tried all the methods and this thing is the fastest by far.
 

RangerJoe

I leave the horn on while driving
15 Year Member
Apr 26, 2010
2,560
1,146
184
Georgia
Oct 8, 2018
#53
  • Oct 8, 2018
  • #53
Alright, my new tool and the only tool I have ever bought off a tool truck. Behold, the new titanium bodied Matco 1/2" impact rated at 1400lbs of torque. Supposed to do the work of a larger 3/4" impact.


And I also recently upgraded all my air fittings to true 3/8" high flow fittings. What a difference!
 
Reactions: RaggedGT

Reddevil91

15 Year Member
Mar 3, 2010
1,630
773
163
Oct 8, 2018
#54
  • Oct 8, 2018
  • #54
 
Reactions: Adieu, 02 281 GT and RangerJoe

jrichker

StangNet's favorite TOOL
In Remembrance. Thank you for your contributions
Mar 10, 2000
27,512
2,813
234
Dublin GA
Oct 9, 2018
#55
  • Oct 9, 2018
  • #55
RangerJoe said:
Alright, my new tool and the only tool I have ever bought off a tool truck. Behold, the new titanium bodied Matco 1/2" impact rated at 1400lbs of torque. Supposed to do the work of a larger 3/4" impact.


And I also recently upgraded all my air fittings to true 3/8" high flow fittings. What a difference!
Click to expand...
Are you prepared for what to do next after you shear the first rusted in bolt in something large, heavy and expensive?
 
Reactions: RangerJoe

RangerJoe

I leave the horn on while driving
15 Year Member
Apr 26, 2010
2,560
1,146
184
Georgia
Oct 9, 2018
#56
  • Oct 9, 2018
  • #56
jrichker said:
Are you prepared for what to do next after you shear the first rusted in bolt in something large, heavy and expensive?
Click to expand...

Bought it to take the 33mm lugnuts off my F650. We will see.

Joe
 

GroverDill

GoldMember
Founding Member
Aug 18, 1999
5,442
1,490
214
Demotte IN 46310
Oct 9, 2018
#57
  • Oct 9, 2018
  • #57
Mustang5L5 said:
Have one. Doesn't have the mustardz

I need to buy that rivet hammer that the guy from South Main Auto YouTube channel uses



I've done them that way too by backing the bolts out and hitting the bolts: however, how much room you have to swing can vary. I used to have to pull the knuckle off to do this especially if there was a CV axle.

I've done maybe a dozen wheel bearings so far. I've tried all the methods and this thing is the fastest by far.
Click to expand...
 
Reactions: Mustang5L5

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,343
18,074
224
Massachusetts
Oct 10, 2018
#58
  • Oct 10, 2018
  • #58
That's the one. Seems like that thing is unstoppable
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,343
18,074
224
Massachusetts
Feb 8, 2019
#59
  • Feb 8, 2019
  • #59
Been wanting a stubby impact for some time. Keep seeing this one on YouTube so i picked one up. Paid around $125 for the impact and stubby sockets.

450 ft-lbs, so not the most powerful thing but fits into tons of tight places

 
Reactions: 02 281 GT and General karthief

Adieu

Easy there, this ain't a dating site.
20+ Year Stangneter
Mar 7, 2002
9,531
5,187
224
Feb 8, 2019
#60
  • Feb 8, 2019
  • #60
Mustang5L5 said:
Been wanting a stubby impact for some time. Keep seeing this one on YouTube so i picked one up. Paid around $125 for the impact and stubby sockets.

450 ft-lbs, so not the most powerful thing but fits into tons of tight places

Click to expand...
I have the 3/8 drive version of those sockets. They are amazing.
 
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • …
  • 21
Next
First Prev 3 of 21 Next Last
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

E
Finished my Fox Hydroboost Install - Tips
  • Engineer Duane
  • Apr 9, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- May 5, 2025
Engineer Duane
E
0
V6 to V8 Swap info
  • 02_2v_Curtis
  • Jan 11, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
963
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Wednesday at 4:28 AM
2v_johnny
2
Granada Front Disc, 9” Drum Rear, 86 Bronco II MC, and Manual Brakes - Pedal Slack
  • AeroCoupe
  • Jul 8, 2023
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
2K
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jul 14, 2023
AeroCoupe
M
Progress Thread mnky99 2001 V6 evap core, ac compressor, heater core replacement
  • mnky99
  • Sep 5, 2025
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
643
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 5, 2025
mnky99
M
SN Mustang Magnum T56 swap
  • revhead347
  • May 24, 2024
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Replies
15
Views
7K
1994 - 1995 Specific Tech Jun 28, 2026
GearHeadGuy
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Off-Topic Hangout
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?