I have a total of 26 ratchets in my toolbox at work... that's not a typo.
Figured I might as well go crazy on ratchets since that's a tool all of us are going to use a lot of.
https://www.stanleytools.com/produc...s/ratchets/38-in-drive-rotator-ratchet/89-962
The Stanley rotator ratchet is a unique creature. It's not overly useful 99.9999999% of the time, and spends most of it's time tucked away in the toolbox doing nothing. It's the emergency back-up goalie of ratchets.
Then I need to get something out of a really tight space, none of my other ratchets have a light enough touch to turn the bolt counterclockwise without also turning it the other way on the backswing, and this guy comes into play. You see, that beefy yellow and black handle rotates. On top of that, it doesn't matter which way you spin it (and indeed, you can spin it back and forth), it turns the ratchet's drive end in the direction you set the ratchet to. Suddenly, your ratchet is this guy:
View: https://youtu.be/tG-IGNvfrg8
I honestly go months, sometimes even more than a year without using this ratchet, but when I do... it saves the damned day.
https://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-flex-head-stubby-ratchets-46742.html
A lot of my ratchets are high-dollar items from SnapOn, mainly because I want to be able to pick them up with zero doubts whatsoever as to the durability of what's in my hand, and because they just feel better in the hand. Then there's these guys. I wouldn't dream of replacing them with SnapOn. This little $11 set of stubby flex-head ratchets is fantastic. The 1/4-drive's head is a little too big and round to get into some of the tighter spots it'd otherwise be handy at (though I do have another ratchet for that job), but that's where my critical opinions on the set ends. The 3/8-drive is more than adequate for it's role in the toolbox, and the 1/2-drive has a very specific niche to fill, oil pressure sensors on Chrysler Pentastar V6 engines. Sure, there are better stubby flex-head ratchets out there, but when you factor in cost, this is probably as good as it gets for your dollar.
https://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-thumbwheel-ratchet-set-94011.html
Then there's these little bastards. Not overly useful to begin with, they're just too crude to be good at the finely detailed work they should be used for (low torque applications). The drag on the backswing is so bad that you'd better be holding on to the extension or socket that's hooked on to it so you don't just spin the bolt or screw you're on back-and-forth. That said, they're not so horrible that I've tossed them in the trash or replaced them, they're just not very good.
https://www.harborfreight.com/t-bar-with-3-8-eighth-inch-flexible-ratchet-98484.html
You ever buy a ratchet thinking "man, that'd come in so handy for ________!" ?
Yeah, that's what I bought this one for. Boy was I wrong. My "________" was bellhousing bolts in tight spots, and this thing flexes and bends so badly that it's useless for that. The good news is, it's very strong, snapping right back to shape even after being bent to a 20+ degree angle, and I did find a use it's fantastic for, distributor hold-down bolts on older engines. This one's in the home toolbox.
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...10-piece-tw242/10071071-P?brandName=Toolworks
I'm not reviewing the bits or the case from this set, because, frankly, I'm not even sure what happened to the bits or the case, nor do I care. They were unimportant. This ratchet, on the other hand, is one of the absolute best tools in my box. To put that into perspective, I have a Matco 3-bank 72" box with addon storage, and a 6-drawer service cart at the shop, and several smaller boxes full of tools at the house, and this ratchet is in my top-10 best tools that I own.
This little bit ratchet is so well made, so well engineered, so stunningly durable, and so useful, that I honestly think I'd be lost without it some days. Whether it's getting to a screw inside of a bumper so that I don't have to take the whole bumper off to change an ambient air temperature sensor, removing a hidden screw holding a fender liner to a bumper, or removing something from an awkward and tight space under a dash or seat, this ratchet is the hero of the toolbox. If you don't buy any other tool that I recommend, buy this damned ratchet.
http://www.snapon-bluepoint.com.sg/category/38/product/38-Quick-Release-Ratchet
This ratchet was the first purchase I made off a tool truck, all the way back in 2008. I still have it, it's never failed, and I like it so much that when SnapOn had a BOGO involving this general service set containing this same ratchet:
http://www.snapon-bluepoint.com.sg/category/Sets-Building/product/38-Drive-Socket-Set,-49pcs I jumped on it to have a professional quality set for the house for once (the other item was another ratchet that I also enjoy the hell out of that is at the shop). This ratchet isn't big, it isn't fancy, and it doesn't have a cushioned grip. It is, however, insanely tough (I've bent cheater pipes that were slipped over the end of the older one), smooth as silk, comfortable in the hand, and best of all, especially considering it comes from SnapOn, affordable. Not a damned thing changed between the first one I bought in 2008 or the 2nd that came in that set I bought in 2017, both ratchets work incredibly well and get the job done every single time, even when asked to do unreasonable things. A new tech at work ended up borrowing my general service set while he built up his tools, and bought the same set when it was on sale because he liked the ratchet itself, as well as the sockets, extensions, and adapters, so much that he didn't want to step down to Harbor Freight stuff. It's not the biggest ratchet, it's not the prettiest or the fanciest, but it gets the job done, and really, what more could I want?
https://www.matcotools.com/catalog/product/BFR118/3-8-DRIVE-11-EIGHTY8-TOOTH-FIXED-CHROME-RATCHET/
I'm spoiled by my Matco guy sometimes.
I didn't actually buy this ratchet. I bought it's predecessor with I believe 72 teeth. On top of that, I didn't buy it from any Matco truck, I bought it for $20 at a pawn shop with a skip on one of the teeth in the mechanism. I brought it to work and simply asked my Matco guy if he could fix it, and he said "bad news chief, they don't make that ratchet anymore, but I have some good news, the 88-tooth mechanism fits right into it!"
My $20 pawn shop Matco ratchet got upgraded to the 88-tooth internals for FREE. This just might be the best tool bargain I've ever scored. With the 88-tooth mechanism this ratchet gets things done. It's got a super slim head for getting into tight places, and the 11" handle means I can put some serious torque on whatever needs it. While not as smooth as some of my SnapOn ratchets, it's on-par with the Bluepoint I reviewed above, and when I bought it for less than 1/5 of retail, and got the free upgrade, it's a no-brainer. I'll take a Matco tool at a Harbor Freight price any day. I've mentioned that Matco doesn't make most of their tools in-house, and people sometimes question why I'd buy anything from them knowing that, the level of service I've received from both of my previous two Matco guys is the answer, though I'd be lying if I said I didn't shop Sunex, Lisle, Lang, VIM, and the others that make tools for them online to make sure I'm getting a decent enough deal.
http://www.amprotools.net/Product/ProductDetail/339/METAL-GRIP-RATCHETS
When I worked for Advance Auto Parts the first time, we carried AmPro tools. On my way out the door, before I lost my employee discount, I spent a fortune stocking up on tools. Among the things I bought were all three of these ratchets, one of which (the 1/2 drive) is still in my box at work (the other two came home after upgrading to better at the shop).
While not on the same level as SnapOn, Matco, or Mac, or even their budget lines (Bluepoint, Silver Eagle, and Expert), they were surprisingly better than Craftsman (back when Craftsman was still good, and still made in the US), and worlds better than Harbor Freight's offerings at the time (remember back when 2/3 or more of Harbor Freight's tools weren't worth taking out of the store? How far they've come!). I think I gave the 1/4" ratchet to my dad, and the 3/8" is still floating around in one of my boxes at the house, but the 1/2" drive ratchet has never been replaced because, well, it's just good enough that I can't justify it. It's not something I use that often (I usually use the extendable 1/2" from Harbor Freight I reviewed awhile back, or my 24" SnapOn flex-head 1/2"), but when I do, it does a good enough job that replacing it just never really crosses my mind. It's relatively smooth, it's obviously durable, having been in my home and professional boxes off-and-on for 14 years, and it's well made, but it's kind of just... "there". It's the vanilla pudding of ratchets. It doesn't make me gag like tapioca, but it doesn't excite me like a good banana pudding either.
https://www.autozone.com/ratchets-s...tion-full-polish-flex-head-ratchet/565715_0_0
Apparently Autozone has discontinued this ratchet. That's a damned shame. Seriously, a damned shame. I was going to tell you that if you wanted a 1/4-drive flex-head ratchet that rivalved the big tool truck brands in quality and durability for an amazing price to stop by Autozone and buy one. They're built like a Matco ratchet in every way, and hold up just as well if not better. I still have the one I bought in a pinch in 2011 in my box at work. Damn you Autozone... anytime you have a good thing going, you screw it up.
Ampro apparently doesn't make the ratchet I'm going to review here anymore, and I couldn't find a picture of it online, so I'll snap a photo of it to add when I get to the shop tonight.
I'm not sure why I keep my comfort-grip, round-head, offset 72-tooth 3/8 ratchet from Ampro around. I know it's garbage. I know we warrantied out more of them than any other tool during my time at Advance. I also know how many of them I had fail on me personally when using them for battery installs and other light-duty work at the store. I also know how many of them I bought at $5.99 (and then got a 20% discount on that) and how many of them are floating around the garage "somewhere". I still have one in my box at work. I almost never use it, because I'm almost 100% sure that if I do, it'll break. These ratchets look so good, and seem like such a good idea on paper, but in real-world use, it's almost like the pawl in them is made of glass. On top of that, the cushion-grip doesn't go far enough up on the handle, so it's prone to breaking about an inch away from the end. It's such a junk ratchet... why can't I quit thee?
https://store.snapon.com/Quick-Rele...x-Head-Quick-Release-Ratchet-Red-P738251.aspx
All other ratchets, prepare to meet your daddy.
This ratchet is a god among tools. All of the length and strength of a 2-foot breaker bar with the convenience of ratchet. Suspension parts, brake caliper brackets, crankshaft bolts, they are all broken loose by this mighty beast made of steel. It fears no Loctite, not even the red

GM uses. There are cheaper knock-offs out there, but I've broken all of them myself or seen them break, but not this monster, no, this monster refuses to die, even with 350lbs of steak-and-potatoes fed redneck hanging off the end of a cheater pipe slipped over this thing. A big freaking ratchet needs to be in your toolbox. If you can't afford to buy this one, that's okay, the cheaper alternatives will last for a time, and do have a good warranty, but if you can afford it... you totally should.