• Off-Topic Hangout

Tool Review Time

  • Thread starter Thread starter NIKwoaC
  • Start date Start date May 8, 2018
Prev
  • 1
  • …
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • …
  • 21
Next
First Prev 8 of 21 Next Last

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
43,418
21,628
234
Box behind Walmart
Oct 4, 2019
#141
  • Oct 4, 2019
  • #141
FastDriver said:
The trouble is that the bolts that come with it are too long, and they want you to install a jamb nut with them. This is just a dumb design, in my opinion, because the bolt heads stick so far out of the back that when you attempt to adjust the beam as high as it'll go, the bolts are pointed downwards and they hit the mounting surface before the beams are level.
Click to expand...


I'll have to take pictures of my install of the shorter bar. The jamb nuts make the entire thing a breeze to adjust up or down. The only side effect is that you have roughly, one-half inch gap between the light bar and the supplied brackets. To adjust tilt: I loosen the jamb nuts maybe 1/8 turn, rotate the bar, tighten the jamb nuts finger tight to hold the whole thing in place. Tightening a hair more with whatever pair of pliers or wrench I have on hand.
 
Reactions: FastDriver

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
43,418
21,628
234
Box behind Walmart
Oct 4, 2019
#142
  • Oct 4, 2019
  • #142
@FastDriver

20191004_173239.jpg

  • Media owner Noobz347
  • Date added Oct 4, 2019

You can see the supplied bolts and nuts here. (note that they are not stainless )

20191004_173300.jpg

  • Media owner Noobz347
  • Date added Oct 4, 2019
With bolt just finger tight tight and the jamb-nuts snugged.


20191004_173304.jpg

  • Media owner Noobz347
  • Date added Oct 4, 2019
I posted this image because it shows how the light bar snugs up against the brackets when the jamb-nuts are tightened.
 

FastDriver

I was uncomfortably high & wearing a helmet
SN Certified Technician
Sep 5, 2001
6,149
2,788
224
Vass, NC
Oct 4, 2019
#143
  • Oct 4, 2019
  • #143
Got it... You've mounted it on a vertical surface. I've mounted it on my bumper's horizontal surface. Your top side of your bracket is my forward side. So, I have the light bar mounted reversed from the way you mounted yours. I'll snap a couple pics in a minute and update this post with them.

3 way switch on-off-HighBeamTriggered.


 
Last edited: Oct 4, 2019

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
43,418
21,628
234
Box behind Walmart
Oct 4, 2019
#144
  • Oct 4, 2019
  • #144
FastDriver said:
Got it... You've mounted it on a vertical surface. I've mounted it on my bumper's horizontal surface. Your top side of your bracket is my forward side. So, I have the light bar mounted reversed from the way you mounted yours. I'll snap a couple pics in a minute and update this post with them.
Click to expand...

Yes and surprisingly, my head blocks only a fraction of the light
 

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
43,418
21,628
234
Box behind Walmart
Oct 4, 2019
#145
  • Oct 4, 2019
  • #145
@FastDriver Yeah... I don't think you'll have to worry too much about having to move it. LoL

Have you turned it on at night yet?
 

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
28,065
10,688
213
polk county florida
Oct 4, 2019
#146
  • Oct 4, 2019
  • #146
You use those things at night?
 

FastDriver

I was uncomfortably high & wearing a helmet
SN Certified Technician
Sep 5, 2001
6,149
2,788
224
Vass, NC
Oct 4, 2019
#147
  • Oct 4, 2019
  • #147
I took it for a spin around the block. Definitely a big difference in total light output. I wanted to see how far my lateral and vertical angles were off. Honestly, it looked pretty good to me.
@General karthief, well I didn't buy them to use during the day, lol.

I don't really have a reason other than I wanted it, but my best excuse for use that I've come up with so far is use on barren roads at night when I'm worried about deer/wildlife. This will make them a hell of a lot easier to spot.

I imagine this will probably be more persuasive when I flash someone to turn their high beams down. You know the type... they sometimes won't even turn them down even when you flash them as a reminder. I may not use them as retribution though, because I honestly suspect this amount of light is actually dangerously blinding. Put it this way, google told me that the average low beam is 700 lums. The average high beam is 1200. The ad on amazon said this bar is 78k lums.
 
Last edited: Oct 4, 2019

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
28,065
10,688
213
polk county florida
Oct 4, 2019
#148
  • Oct 4, 2019
  • #148
I need some of those,
i'm afraid of the dark
 

FastDriver

I was uncomfortably high & wearing a helmet
SN Certified Technician
Sep 5, 2001
6,149
2,788
224
Vass, NC
Oct 5, 2019
#149
  • Oct 5, 2019
  • #149
Welp, because it was so close to level and I'm brilliant, I decided I could just bend the brackets a tiny bit. They were stubborn at first, but I finally got them to move. ... All 4 snapped..... Good! Frackin' hated those damn things anyways. Now, I've got some properly designed swivel mounts on the way. Hopefully they'll work with the bolts I already have or what comes with them.
 
Reactions: General karthief and RaggedGT

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
43,418
21,628
234
Box behind Walmart
Oct 5, 2019
#150
  • Oct 5, 2019
  • #150
FastDriver said:
I honestly suspect this amount of light is actually dangerously blinding
Click to expand...


You saw my off/on pics. That was with a shorter bar. LoL When it's pitch black outside, that's when it's nice to have. I can even brush-hog at night.

I temporarily mounted a rear-facing, rechargeable LED work light on the same tractor. I think I'm going to get a smaller bar to face that direction. The tractor alternator is only 35 amps but it's a diesel so... That's [my] 35 amps to use for lights, inverters, etc...
 

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
43,418
21,628
234
Box behind Walmart
Oct 5, 2019
#151
  • Oct 5, 2019
  • #151
FastDriver said:
All 4 snapped
Click to expand...

I guess it's too late to mention that they are pot-metal.
 
Reactions: FastDriver

FastDriver

I was uncomfortably high & wearing a helmet
SN Certified Technician
Sep 5, 2001
6,149
2,788
224
Vass, NC
Oct 6, 2019
#152
  • Oct 6, 2019
  • #152
Much better! Got the angle right right away, and yes, it was worth replacing the crappy brackets for it:
 

Adieu

Easy there, this ain't a dating site.
20+ Year Stangneter
Mar 7, 2002
9,531
5,187
224
Oct 12, 2019
#153
  • Oct 12, 2019
  • #153

HYPER-STEP HIGH-SPEED STEEL DRILL BIT SET, 29 PIECE DB29HSG | Matco Tools

www.matcotools.com

I'm going to start off by saying that these are insanely expensive.

They're stupidly expensive.

They're holy levels of expensive.

They're also... incredible.

I reviewed those Hyper Tough bits from WalMart earlier in the thread, and I stand by my review of them, they're phenomenal for the price point, and I don't think you can find a better bit set in the under $50 range right now. I still have them at the shop, and they're still being used on a regular basis.

But sometimes, you just need more. Sometimes something so much better comes along that you just have to have it.

That's the new "hyper step" bits from Matco.

These bits combine the speed and cutting ability of a step-drill with the length, uniform size, and flutes of a traditional spiral drill to make short and easy work of just about any metal-drilling job you've got on your hands.

I've used them to drill the holes in my steel rolling table to mount my impact wrench holster on. I've played with them at the end of a shift, drilling holes in random discarded parts for giggles just to see what they're capable of. I've been impressed every single time.

Watch this and be amazed:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Vmx4JsWj4


I still kinda feel like I wasted my money because "holy ! $300+ for drill bits?" but then again... they're pretty damned awesome drill bits.
 
Reactions: General karthief

Adieu

Easy there, this ain't a dating site.
20+ Year Stangneter
Mar 7, 2002
9,531
5,187
224
Oct 28, 2019
#154
  • Oct 28, 2019
  • #154
I review a lot of wrenches...

This will be another one.

https://www.mactools.com/en-us/Wrenches/Combination-Wrenches/0c0ca9b0-26ad-4233-a8d2-a4aa00e83a75/Precision-Torque-Metric-Combination-Wrenches-12-PT-

I only own one of these wrenches. To be honest, if GM hadn't chosen such an oddball size for the caliper pin on their trucks, and my Mac Tools dealer at the time hadn't literally just walked into the shop, I'd probably never have bought any of these, much less the 20mm that I have.

Thing is, it's a fantastic wrench.

Both ends have unique angles to them compared to the majority of other wrenches in the market, and somehow, Mac's not wrong in spite of being the outlier. Both ends work great. Granted, the only things that it gets used on are the brakes on S550 Mustangs and GM trucks, but there's something about the angles on this wrench that makes those things easier.

Aside from those positives, I don't know if the differences were worth the price, and the damned thing doesn't fit in wrench racks with other brands well. If I was shopping for a professional-quality set of wrenches and these were on sale, I might do it, but I've had my Bluepoint set (8-19mm) and feel no need to upgrade to the Mac set, even as nice as these wrenches are.
 
Last edited: Nov 18, 2019

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
43,418
21,628
234
Box behind Walmart
Oct 28, 2019
#155
  • Oct 28, 2019
  • #155
74stang2togo said:

HYPER-STEP HIGH-SPEED STEEL DRILL BIT SET, 29 PIECE DB29HSG | Matco Tools

www.matcotools.com

I'm going to start off by saying that these are insanely expensive.

They're stupidly expensive.

They're holy levels of expensive.

They're also... incredible.

I reviewed those Hyper Tough bits from WalMart earlier in the thread, and I stand by my review of them, they're phenomenal for the price point, and I don't think you can find a better bit set in the under $50 range right now. I still have them at the shop, and they're still being used on a regular basis.

But sometimes, you just need more. Sometimes something so much better comes along that you just have to have it.

That's the new "hyper step" bits from Matco.

These bits combine the speed and cutting ability of a step-drill with the length, uniform size, and flutes of a traditional spiral drill to make short and easy work of just about any metal-drilling job you've got on your hands.

I've used them to drill the holes in my steel rolling table to mount my impact wrench holster on. I've played with them at the end of a shift, drilling holes in random discarded parts for giggles just to see what they're capable of. I've been impressed every single time.

Watch this and be amazed:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Vmx4JsWj4


I still kinda feel like I wasted my money because "holy ! $300+ for drill bits?" but then again... they're pretty damned awesome drill bits.
Click to expand...

Lemme know in a year if they were worth $300.

I bought a set of diagonal cutters off of the Snap-On the truck some time ago. Maybe 3 or so years ago. It worked out to be a little over $100 for each of the 3 snips ($300+ for all three). I could have punched myself in the face afterward. I still have them and they're all perfect. If they weren't perfect, I'd trade that one in for a perfect one at no cost. I think I came out ahead this time.

The Snap-On guy visits on Fridays

He even has a text number that accepts part numbers so that, 'that thing' will be on the truck when it arrives.

I do not know if these are good things or not
 

Adieu

Easy there, this ain't a dating site.
20+ Year Stangneter
Mar 7, 2002
9,531
5,187
224
Oct 28, 2019
#156
  • Oct 28, 2019
  • #156
Noobz347 said:
Lemme know in a year if they were worth $300.

I bought a set of diagonal cutters off of the Snap-On the truck some time ago. Maybe 3 or so years ago. It worked out to be a little over $100 for each of the 3 snips ($300+ for all three). I could have punched myself in the face afterward. I still have them and they're all perfect. If they weren't perfect, I'd trade that one in for a perfect one at no cost. I think I came out ahead this time.

The Snap-On guy visits on Fridays

He even has a text number that accepts part numbers so that, 'that thing' will be on the truck when it arrives.

I do not know if these are good things or not
Click to expand...
Well... I did drill 3/8" steel like it was nothing with a crappy Ryobi drill with the 1/2" bit the other day. Was removing a gun safe from a Subaru and had to drill 4 holes in the bastard. No pilot holes necessary, just center-punch and go.
 

krazedstang

15 Year Member
Mar 23, 2009
670
278
104
Streamwood
Nov 5, 2019
#157
  • Nov 5, 2019
  • #157
Ok, so this isn't a tool review but a question, what fittings are you using for your compressors/hoses/tools. I have some cheap Harbor Freight ones and they leak pretty bad with any sort of movement of the hose.
 
T

trebor3170

mine usually gets hard with the car on
May 31, 2019
83
26
28
Salisbury, MD
Nov 5, 2019
#158
  • Nov 5, 2019
  • #158
I've found that the ones sold in the "big box" home centers, Lowes, Home Depot, work just fine.
 
Reactions: krazedstang

Adieu

Easy there, this ain't a dating site.
20+ Year Stangneter
Mar 7, 2002
9,531
5,187
224
Nov 5, 2019
#159
  • Nov 5, 2019
  • #159
krazedstang said:
Ok, so this isn't a tool review but a question, what fittings are you using for your compressors/hoses/tools. I have some cheap Harbor Freight ones and they leak pretty bad with any sort of movement of the hose.
Click to expand...
Anything but the Harbor Freight ones. I've got the fancy 1-touch couplers at work, and a Wurth push-pull coupler on my hose at the house. I think all of the nipples on my tools at the house are Husky from Home Depot, most of them at work are whatever the parts department or the tool truck gave me.
 
Reactions: krazedstang

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
28,065
10,688
213
polk county florida
Nov 18, 2019
#160
  • Nov 18, 2019
  • #160
I have a set of 'go jacks', they are just like those only they are not hydraulic. Great for moving vehicles around you just have to make sure the surface is clean and flat.
Amazon product ASIN B00P00YLUAView: https://www.amazon.com/GoJak-Model-G4520/dp/B00P00YLUA
 
Prev
  • 1
  • …
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • …
  • 21
Next
First Prev 8 of 21 Next Last
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

E
Finished my Fox Hydroboost Install - Tips
  • Engineer Duane
  • Apr 9, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- May 5, 2025
Engineer Duane
E
0
V6 to V8 Swap info
  • 02_2v_Curtis
  • Jan 11, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
963
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Wednesday at 4:28 AM
2v_johnny
2
Granada Front Disc, 9” Drum Rear, 86 Bronco II MC, and Manual Brakes - Pedal Slack
  • AeroCoupe
  • Jul 8, 2023
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
2K
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jul 14, 2023
AeroCoupe
M
Progress Thread mnky99 2001 V6 evap core, ac compressor, heater core replacement
  • mnky99
  • Sep 5, 2025
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
643
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 5, 2025
mnky99
M
SN Mustang Magnum T56 swap
  • revhead347
  • May 24, 2024
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Replies
15
Views
7K
1994 - 1995 Specific Tech Jun 28, 2026
GearHeadGuy
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Off-Topic Hangout
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?