Top End Engine Build 289

robbz28

Sep 23, 2009
Epps, LA
This 67 is my first ford to ever play with and so far it has been a joy. A couple of years ago when I had my 289 out I just pulled it apart and inspected it and reassembled it (it still looked great, crosshatches still in the bores, bearings looked good) So I saved some money and put some new valve seals and gaskets in it and stuck it back in the car.
Now I am wanting to do some upgrades to my motor and have come up with a little list that I could use a little outside perspective on. First off, I'm not going to the track with this thing on a weekly basis, if ever for that matter. I want a good strong running car that will pin you back in your seat, but without having to always watch my gauges for heat problems etc. Id say a good solid 300-350 horsepower.
Here is what I came up with, IF I use my stock 289 bottom end (flat top pistions) I am almost 100% positive they are stock spec pistons. And just getting a new top end consisting of:
-Comp Cams K31-43208 kit: Hydraulic Roller Camshaft Kit, comes with springs, timing chain, lifters, cam (for non roller blocks) 281/281 @ .512/.512 lift. {I havent researched the heck out of cams yet, so something around these specs}
-Ford Racing X307 aluminum heads: 58cc chamber 178cc intake. (I understand thats a lot of head for a 289, but I want to be able to grow if I decide to stroke the engine)
-I already have a performer intake and a holley 600 vaccum secondary carb and full length headers.
-Before I do this I am going to complete my T5 swap with 3.73 rear end gears in my 8"
-One more thing, if budget allows I would love to stroke it to a 331...but budget for now is tight.

Thoughts comments suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds good to me, something that I would like to do to my 67 289. Only thing is you cant stroke it to a 331, a 289 is already maxed out for stroke. The block doesn't have the skirts at the bottom of the cylinder like a 302 block has.

You can stroke a 289....I think that skirt issue only deals with very early 289's...mine is a 67 block which I believe is the same as the 302's. And if that was an issue I would have to prep the block anyway for the new pistons, crank, etc...i could pick up a 302 block if had to for little of nothing.

Sounds good to me, something that I would like to do to my 67 289. Only thing is you cant stroke it to a 331, a 289 is already maxed out for stroke. The block doesn't have the skirts at the bottom of the cylinder like a 302 block has.

Sorry bud, but, somewhere along the information hwy you received incorrect information regarding the stroking comment.
My 47 year old "D" code block (May 1964) is now a 333, and before this, it was a 306. Now it's sport'n a 331 stroker with a .040 bore. It lives quite happliy making 392 RWHP. In fact, you can go to 347 with notching the bottom of the barrels. It's also a roller, as well.
Not being critical, just wanted to get this out there.
Happy Motoring!

Same here 289 stroked to 333ci, as mentioned the skirts have to be notched to go 347 and I didn't want that increased side load. Haven't started/broken it in yet.
The X307 heads don't sound overly large with 1.94"/1.54" valves, just make sure they clear the pistons w/o fly cutting. Port match your intake to get all the benefit of the better flowing heads.
Jon

Even if the heads had 2.02/1.60 valves it wouldnt make a noticable difference at a flow rate of 170cfm...they would only become a bottleneck if I was flowing 190+ cfm (im sure theres some math involved somewhere, im just shooting from the hip) I really like these heads, I can get a pair of them for 1100 bucks and they are Ford parts. One more question is the ignition, I have an electronic converted factory distributor, im not really crazy about getting an MSD or anything fancy like that, but if there is a truly "better" system than I am using (and that suits my intended purposes) I would be glad to hear suggestions.

Where are the 170/190CFM numbers coming from? Exhaust side?

Ilooked up the numbers for the X307 heads and they appear to breathe better than the 1.90/1.60 Edelbrock Performers I have. That said, I think the X307s will be fine on a 289. They're not that big as SBF heads go and the cam and intake will have a large bearing on the low-end response as well.

As for ignitions, I'm partial to the Ford Duraspark. You probably don't need to replace what you have, though.

Even if the heads had 2.02/1.60 valves it wouldnt make a noticable difference at a flow rate of 170cfm...they would only become a bottleneck if I was flowing 190+ cfm (im sure theres some math involved somewhere, im just shooting from the hip) I really like these heads, I can get a pair of them for 1100 bucks and they are Ford parts. One more question is the ignition, I have an electronic converted factory distributor, im not really crazy about getting an MSD or anything fancy like that, but if there is a truly "better" system than I am using (and that suits my intended purposes) I would be glad to hear suggestions.

Hi,
As FORD product, they appear to be a nice head, although, why they didn't go a little larger on the exhaust valve, is beyond me.
In looking at the options, the basic heads are about $1100, however, you do want the basic upgrades: screw-in studs, guide plates, and posi-seals, as a minimum. It would be nice to get the bowl blending, as well. All of this, is going to add a couple hundred bucks, more.
Also, plan on the possibility of shaving the head when you think about what CR you want to run. I should think you would like to see 10.0, at least.
Happy Trails!

Well they have the Z heads that have 204 cfm of flow....and the larger valves, but thats too much head for my little 289, if i was doing a 347 with a 600 lift cam then it would be great, I have looked at other heads, I even like the windsor Jr heads, they flow 180 cfm and have 2.02 valves....but they are iron and I really want aluminum (like the fact that you can repair aluminum easier than cast and the weight savings, and dad-gummit, they just look cooler).

Well they have the Z heads that have 204 cfm of flow....and the larger valves, but thats too much head for my little 289, if i was doing a 347 with a 600 lift cam then it would be great, I have looked at other heads, I even like the windsor Jr heads, they flow 180 cfm and have 2.02 valves....but they are iron and I really want aluminum (like the fact that you can repair aluminum easier than cast and the weight savings, and dad-gummit, they just look cooler).

Yes, I agree. Those 307s are nice, but, be sure to go with those upgrades. I couldn't believe how light those AL heads are. My JRs weighed 55 lbs. each. My TWs are 35#s fully dressed.
Good luck with your project.

my 2 cents worth

i have a 68 coupe with a 302 block with 289 pistons and crank. i recently had it upgraded because i had a blown head gasket so decided to do everything i could at once.

i replaced heads with edelbrock e-street heads, mid level cam, complete timing set, pushrods, 289 performer intake and 500 cfm carb. that was all edelbrock. i did the carb before other work or would have gone with a 600 cfm. being an old retired engineer i find it is usually best to match components as much as possible. i also had them install roller rockers by comp cams. the edel heads are stud rockers so had to change the rockers. could not afford edel rockers.

went back with a hi-flow water pump and hi-flow thermostat. had over heat issues so changed rad to a honking big 4-core aluminum and added 2 9" pusher fans on front in addition to existing mech fan. that's another thread on here.

i am very pleased with power and performance. i have a heat soak issue due to the severe heat we have been having here in houston tx but edel is sending me a free carb isolator. they have been very good to deal with.

anyway for what it's worth to you i am very pleased with the decision to go matched edelbrock parts. you would not believe the sound of this thing with the dual flowmasters i have on it.

I had a matching edelbrock performer RPM head, intake, cam kit on my 69 camaro, the cam was waaaaaaay too big, it had zero bottom end and just run like complete crap. I downsized my cam and it made a huge difference. I have always been a holley guy....thats what I cut my teeth on, I can't say anything good/bad about any other carbs because I just don't know them. This 600 I have is probably the most widely used 4 bbl on the planet and I think will serve my purposes well. I have looked at those E-street heads and I do like them, but they only come in 60cc chambers, and my factory ones are 58cc...I would have to change pistons or shave the heads (which I dont like to do) to get that compression back. I have built several hot small block chevys over the past 15 years (my last one was a 350 with iron heads that pulled my 3400 lb camaro with my 200lb butt in the seat down the track at 11.80 on pump gas) I'm trying to apply the general basics of performance engine building with the quirks that may be unique to fords (the info I need from you guys). Ex, I have read about possible oiling issues on the front cam bearings on 289's, along with remedies. Little things like that are also what I am looking for. Little bit of a ramble there, but hopefully you get what I'm talking about.