TPS volts wont stay consistant, NO increase with throttle opening?

281pony

Aug 31, 2003
Oly, WA
i went to check my tps volts and they were at .39 all the way over. then i drilled it out a bit more, as much as i was comfortable with and it still stayed the same. so i adjusted it more towards the middle, .50 something. then i kept going that direction, and it dropped slowly.

so i came back to where i started and got it up to .91. the highest reading i could get. then i went to drive it, and the car had a bad hanging idle between gears, and i didnt have any lowend, bad throttle responce. so i adjusted it back again to where it was before i touched it period.

same thing. came home, shut off car. moved it back, and it was idling high. adjusted it on the tb, and it ran pretty decent. not enough driving time to see if it was still cutting out in the flatspot though.

i checked the volts after coming home again, 0.42. dropped to .42 from .91 with no adjustment??? :bang: then i opened the tb from closed to wot slowly. NO change in volts! is that possible that my TPS is just completely shot like that? im reading on a digital voltmeter at 20 dc.

thanks for any advice

• Sponsors (?)

yep, make sure you have a solid ground and 5 volts to the feed. if so, but the return voltage is still funky (what you have been describing), a new TPS sounds like the answer. but if the wiring does not check out, i would address that first.

good luck.

the wiring and the sensor are shot i think. im getting good contacts when i check.

if you remember, ive gotten mixed codes too. sometimes it is the volts, and sometimes it is the circuit i get codes on. so i think it is just shot, that would appear to be the answer wouldnt it? :D

hopefully ill find a new tps tomorrow, otherwards ill know in a couple weeks. taking the engine out tomorrow for my new stroker im building :banana: