TracLoc Worn Out?

onefstsnake

Nov 25, 2005
Northern VA
Well my rear end in my 93 Notch has been whinning pretty bad lately.
Mostly when Im cornering or off the throttle.

In corners it makes a "wa wa wa wa wa" sound...

Car has 115K on it and I wouldnt be surprised if it was an original diff and hasnt been rebuilt.
Local Mustang shop quoted me $800 to rebuild the rearend...:notnice:

So whats making the noise? And how can I fix it?

• Sponsors (?)

onefstsnake said:

Car has 115K on it and I wouldnt be surprised if it was an original diff and hasnt been rebuilt.

that price is not to bad if they are rebuilding the whole thing. Might be something you wanna look into if you plan on keeping the car for a while and making to many more mods. I just had an auburn pro put in a few weeks ago i love it but price is about 350 for the unit.

Detroit locker will work fo rdaily driving but it will be noisy, around corners as it locks and unlocks. 800 for an entire rebuild is not a bad price, which is probably wha they quoted you since they didnt open it up and see exactly what need replacing. If the clicking noise of the locker bothers you go with a Auburn or Eaton type unit. Or you can always have your Trac loc rebuilt for less

$50.00 for a trac loc rebuild kit
$200.00 or so for new gear set: Change them now if they are still stock
$400.00 for labor or near that

Or:

$250.00 for a new diff.
$250.00 for new gears (again, if they are still stock)
$400.00 for labor or near that

The noise you are probably hearing might be from a low fluid level. Or from some loose parts that are floating around in the carrier. If you notice "1 wheel peal" your clutch packs are worn out. But with that many miles on there, I would just go ahead and replace everything.

onefstsnake said:

Yea that is too much.

I ran up a pretty large bill when I bought all my stuff, but not $800 just for install.

$276.14 - (3.73 FRPP Gears, Rebuild Kit, Trac Loc Rebuild kit, speedometer gear) Purchased at CJponyparts.com (20% off)

$49.75 (Axle Bearings from NAPA)

$547.61 Labor (Gear install, Trac Loc Rebuild/synthetic fluids)

All in all that is $873.50

Gears aren't really that cheap when you do it right.

Edit: 1,000 POSTS! :banana:
Mario.gif
:banana:
Mario.gif
:banana:

I don't know about all brands of lockers but a LOCKRITE LOCKER freewheels around a corner when you are not on the gas. they will be noisey cause they sound like a ratchet when they are not locked. They are strong my friend has one in his lifted K5 blazer with 35" tires and he drives the poo right out of it. But he ownes one of the best shops in town so he has lots of money and he can write all the parts off.

The concept of the T-Loc is that it locks for straight aways...In cornering, it allows one wheel to spin more than the other to provide for better handling. So spinning one more than the other in a turn means it is working.

Well for $800 they would rebuild the TracLoc and replace the clutches/springs/harware. Shim the gears properly, and install all new bearings.

I think it was like $400 in parts and $400 for labor.

This is rebuilding the entire rear end, not just the differential.

THATS VERY EXPENSIVE...
50 rebuild kit
i think i paid 300 for moser axles
around 400 for labor
130 for heavy duty rear end girdle...trick flow...trw....etc...
rear axle seals...i mean if your gonna do some work to the rear you might as well do it in one shot and get it over with if you plan on doin future mods...even if you dont plan on it you will..its a fox mustang...after the first mod...it NEVER stops.........EVER!!!!
A VISCOUS CYCLE I TELL YA!!!!!!!!!!!
:lol: