Traction Control Issue -- Ford can't figure it out!

brinley

Aug 6, 2011
I have a 2010 V6 Mustang, and have had nothing but problems with it since I bought it a year and a half ago. When it had about 1,000 miles on it, the transmission fell apart, and it was in the dealership shop for three weeks because they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. They flew people out from Ford HQ (so they tell me) to work on my car.

Now, with 20,000 miles, there's an issue with the traction control. Every few days when I'm driving, the "traction control active" and the "traction control off" lights will come on at the same time, and stay on for 10-30 seconds.

It's been in and out of the dealership for three weeks. At first they couldn't figure out what was wrong, so they installed a tracker, and I had to press the button when the lights came on to record the code. I brought it back and they replaced the restraint control module and said that would fix it. Two days later, the lights came on again. Back to the dealership. They replaced the ABS system, and said that would fix it. Five hours after I picked it up, the lights came on AGAIN. :eek:

Has anyone else had this problem? Or heard of this problem?? I'm beyond frustrated with Ford at this point. Even more so that now I'm one month outside of my ability to file a law suit through the Lemon Law, which I would've been more than qualified for if the cutoff was 19 months instead of 18 months in Virginia.

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 2010 V6 Mustang, and have had nothing but problems with it since I bought it a year and a half ago. When it had about 1,000 miles on it, the transmission fell apart, and it was in the dealership shop for three weeks because they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. They flew people out from Ford HQ (so they tell me) to work on my car.

Now, with 20,000 miles, there's an issue with the traction control. Every few days when I'm driving, the "traction control active" and the "traction control off" lights will come on at the same time, and stay on for 10-30 seconds.

It's been in and out of the dealership for three weeks. At first they couldn't figure out what was wrong, so they installed a tracker, and I had to press the button when the lights came on to record the code. I brought it back and they replaced the restraint control module and said that would fix it. Two days later, the lights came on again. Back to the dealership. They replaced the ABS system, and said that would fix it. Five hours after I picked it up, the lights came on AGAIN. :eek:

Has anyone else had this problem? Or heard of this problem?? I'm beyond frustrated with Ford at this point. Even more so that now I'm one month outside of my ability to file a law suit through the Lemon Law, which I would've been more than qualified for if the cutoff was 19 months instead of 18 months in Virginia.

Hi brinley,

I'm sure the multiple repairs have been aggravating, and I appreciate the patience you have shown so far. Please PM me with your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state so I can assist with your concerns.

~Natasha

traction control module 2010 mustang

I have a 2010 mustang that I have had for around two years when I bought the car it had 96 miles on it. I am a lady and I know that my car has not been driven ruff. I have had the same problem besides my abs light, traction contol on light, and traction control off light are all on all the time. I took mt car to the dealer when it had around fourty thousand miles on it. The dealer told me it was a loose wire. They said that they fixed it then about a week later it came on again. I took it back to the dealer and they told me my warranty was up. Well I told them I bought the exected warrenty they told me that I did not. I never even thought to get my paper work from when I bought the car. The guy at the dealer told me look at the paper work on the computer from when I bought the car and that I did not buy the exetended warrenty. I should of looked at my papers myself though because I then later realised just like a week ago that I did buy the extened warrenty. It was 62,000 miles or 62 months. Now that the car has 65,000 miles on it the dealer now tells me that it is the traction control module. I really thought that was really nice. My husband is just going to replace it. I love my car would never trade it for any thing, it just sucks driving in rain and snow with no traction control.

I have an 2015 Mustang GT with the same traction control light issue. I've had a sensor replaced and was told to slow down, but as soon as i pulled out of the dealer lot light came back on. I don't feel safe.

Going to a dealership is a big game of "fool the idiot". At best, they actually fix the problem. And that is a battle most of the time.
Yea that's how it is turning out to be these days. I was just talking about this to my wife that it seems the only way to get a good car is the lease it and get a new car every two years for the rest of your life or buy a lifetime warranty either way you will have to pay for a car for the rest of your life. Especially with these computer controlled cars, unless you go old school.

Yep- that's the only way to ensure that they take care of the car although it is economically wasteful. With warranties, dealers tend to suddenly become expert lawyers who debate the meaning of terms and requirements.

For example: I had taken my car under warranty- to the dealership that I purchased the car from- to fix a simple issue and they said warranty didn't cover that issue. They are an hour away, so it was a waste of time. Then I went to the dealer in my home town and ordered the part to fix the issue myself and they said "what? No, we can fix that under warranty" and they fixed it for free.

It's all about how busy they are and what they want to do. During a busy week, they scoff at our silly $200 repairs. When :poo: is slow, that $200 will help them inflate their numbers so that Corporate doesn't bitch at them for not staying busy.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sure glad my model isn't a 2010. I only had a rattling in my console area which was a loose piece of plastic. My back window tinting also had bubbles in it when I bought the car. Both issues were fixed right away. Other than that my car has had no issues and have had it for just over 2.5 years. I have 41K miles on it. I love my car and wouldn't trade it for anything... except if I had the exact same mechanical setup on a 2000 Pontiac firebird body.. love those cars! LOL

You are going to be stumped until you have it scanned, find a shop and have it scanned.
A competent mechanic should be able to handle it, if you want to fix it yourself, and you likely can, a scan may cost you a few dollars for his time.

I also have a 2010 Mustang. I have the car over a month now, no problems with the traction control until this weekend. I did have a problem with the horn and some radio functions on the steering wheel. I replaced the clock spring. Had an issue with the the steering wheel off by one notch on the steering column and had to remove and replace in the right position. While doing this I drove the car without the air bag to make sure everything worked fine. That's when my traction control started acting up. I am going to pull apart the steering wheel again and check all the connections. There is also a sensor on the steering wheel that might be related. But I still think the airbag had something to do with it. Connecting the airbag did have an immediate change. I plan on cleaning the connectors there first.

I tried turning off the traction control and that helped. (Hold traction control button for three second while pressing the brake. )

Well I had a chance and I cleaned all the connectors on the steering wheel cables. That didn't help the problem. I tried resetting the steering wheel alignment sensor. That consisted of disconnecting the battery cable waiting a few minutes connecting the battery cable back on. turn on the ignition, turn the wheel all the way to the left, then all the way to the right, then to Center, then turn off the ignition. That actually cleared up the traction control problem.