Tranny & Carb question...

XStang302x

Founding Member
Nov 2, 2000
Marietta, GA
Wooo it never ends.

Anyways, putting an edelbrock performer carb on 600cfm model 1406 and have a couple questions.

First, my transmission has what appears to be a vacuum line that ran to the base area of my holley 4160. Not sure what this is for...kickdown? Now the edelbrock does not have a port for this, is there somewhere else I can hook this up or should I just block it off?

Second question, sorry to sound like a moron, but is the '70 302 a timed vacuum advanced engine?

Thanks for any input...can't find my shop manual :( .

-Frank

• Sponsors (?)

The tranny is a C4 btw. Found the shop manual, looks like that line leads to the Primary throttle valve best I can tell. Anyone know of an alternate spot I can hook this to? I have the performer intake manifold.

Also noticed I dont have my kickdown cable at all...that sucks.

-Frank

Nevermind got it all figured out :) , just been a long day at it hehe.

But new carb, new water pump, new thermostat (that thing looked original lol), fan shroud, flex fan, flushed the radiator, re-epoxied a slight crack at the top of the radiator, new thermo sensor, new plugs, new wires, new fuel filter. The girl should run great and nice and cool finally! Gonna wait till tomorrow to finish the carb, dont think the neighbors would appreciate me playing with that at this hour hehe.

Time to add a kickdown cable to the list though :nonono:

Sorry for the slight mental lapse in questions :p .

-Frank

The vacuum line runs from any full manifold vacuum source to the vacuum modulator valve at the right rear of the C-4. Doesn't have to be connected to a carb vacuum port, you can connect it directly to a port in an intake runner. The vacuum advance on the distributor( if there's only a single nipple on the vacuum diaphram on the distributor) is connected to a ported vacuum source on the carb ( this will be one that pulls no vacuum at idle) If you have a dual diaphram vacuum advance, you may just leave the rear nipple unplugged, this is a "retard" diaphram for emissions purposes.

Well I'm assuming I have it figured out. Two ports on the 'brock are labeled as one for Timed Vacuum Advance for emissions controlled vehichles, which I assume goes straight to my dist.

The is other is Manifold Vacuum for non emissions controlled vehicles. I assume just hook the C4 up to this for manifold vacuum?

-Frank